Δρ Στάθης Αβραμίδης
From OpenwaterpediaStathis Avramidis DipEd, BEd, MSc, PhD (Δρ Στάθης Αβραμίδης) is one of the world's greatest authorities when it comes to water safety. He is a Visiting Research Fellow at Leeds Metropolitan University in the U.K. and an Associate at Hellenic Centre for Disease Control and Prevention in Greece.
He is also the Co-Chairman of the International Aquatic History Symposium & Film Festival and recipient of the prestigious Paragon Aquatic Safety Award from the International Swimming Hall of Fame for his outstanding work on water safety and lifeguarding worldwide. He has also been awarded with two RLSS Commonwealth Diploma Awards from the Royal Life Saving Society and with over 30 awards in numerous countries for his contribution to lifesaving.
A documentary called STATHI" depicts the life and work of Dr. Avramidis.
Dr. Avramidis is a qualified Senior Tutor/Instructor of internationally recognized organizations (ILSF, STA, Singapore STA, RLSS Australia, RLSS UK, SLSA GB, CLSF, ASA, NUCO Training) having lifesaving experience and education from 13 countries. He trains physical education, lifesaving, lifeguarding, fire awareness, baby/preschool swimming, water safety, spinal injury management, defibrillation, first aid, and personal survival at sea. He has worked as radio broadcaster, lifeguard, instructor, coach, first aider in various aquatic events such as Greek nationals, European, Mediterranean, World and the 2004 Athens Olympics.
Dr Avramidis research focuses on aspects of drowning, accident prevention, safety promotion, aquatic safety teaching, legislation, lifeguarding, lifesaving, water safety, pedagogy. His focus is in multi-disciplinary approaches to enhance education.
Dr. Avramidis has participated in hundreds of TV programs as an actor and model, and has won various national and international awards in beauty contests.
He has authored over 200 publications including books, chapters, peer reviewed journal articles, DVDs, conference proceedings and articles in popular technical aquatic magazines/newspapers (see list here. Dr. Avramidis wrote the following books by the age of 35:
1. History of Aquatic Safety - A Multidisciplinary Approach. Athens, Greece (2010)
2. Handbook on Safety and Lifesaving. Athens (2008)
3. With Avramidou, E., Aquatic Rescue and Pool/Waterpark Lifeguarding. Athens: European Lifeguard Academy (2007)
4. Lifeguarding means... Prevention of Accidents in and around the Water, Guidelines for Accident Prevention. Athens: European Lifeguard Academy (2006)
5. The History of Greek Lifeguarding. Athens: European Lifeguard Academy (2005)
6. With Tritaki, J., and Avramidou, E., 1st International Lifeguard Congress Abstract Book. Athens: European Lifeguard Academy (2004)
7. Lifeguard Pool and Waterpark. Athens: European Lifeguard Academy (2003)
8. Real Lifeguard Incidents. Athens: European Lifeguard Academy (2002)
9. The Specialized Lifeguard. Athens: European Lifeguard Academy (2001)
10. The Manual of the Greek Lifeguard. Athens: Anavasi (1998)