noun - 5 Oceans is a solo marathon swimming feat where an individual completes a marathon swim in all give oceans in the world: Atlantic Ocean, Arctic Ocean, Southern Ocean, Indian Ocean and Pacific Ocean.
In 2006 Lewis Pugh achieved the "Holy Grail" of open water swimming by becoming the first person to complete the 5 Oceans.
- Atlantic Ocean - across the English Channel in 1992
- Arctic Ocean - around the most northern point of the Island of Spitsbergen in 2005
- Southern Ocean - across Whaler's Bay in Deception Island in 2005
- Indian Ocean - across Nelson Mandela Bay in 2006
- Pacific Ocean - from Manly Beach through the Sydney Heads to the Sydney Opera House in 2006
Usage dating to circa 20th centure from Lewis Pugh.