Alcatraz Island (or the Rock) sits in the middle of the San Francisco Bay in northern California, United States of America. It is one of the swims of the Triple Break or Triple Crown of Prison Island Swims together with Robben Island in South Africa and Spike Island in Ireland.
Example of Alcatraz Island Swim
• Location: San Francisco Bay, California, U.S.A.
• Course: From Aquatic Park near Fisherman’s Wharf in San Francisco to Alcatraz Island and back
• Distance: 3.25 miles (5.2K)
• Date of Annual Race: July
• Description: Swim Around the Rock requires extensive open water experience due to the cold water (under 60°F or 15.5°C), changing tides and fast currents, but spectacular view of the Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman’s Wharf and the San Francisco downtown skyline will delight the swimmers throughout the event.