At the 2008 FINA Youth World Swimming Championships, Gemmell won gold in the 400 m individual medley.
At the 2009 World Swimming Championships, Gemmell won silver in the men's 10 km marathon swim. In the 5 km race, Gemmell finished 5th. Gemmell is a recipient of the United States 2009 male open water swimmer of the year award and was nominated for the 2009 Golden Goggle Awards as breakout swimmer of the year. At the 2010 Pan Pacific Swimming Championships, Gemmell placed 5th in the 1500 m freestyle and 11th in the 400 m individual medley.
He participated in the 2011 FINA World Championships in Shanghai, China where he was part of the gold medal winning 5 km Team Pursuit team. He also won the 2012 USA Swimming National Open Water Swimming Championships 10 km in Ft. Myers, Florida and the 2013 USA Swimming National Open Water Swimming Championships]] 5 km in Castaic Lake, California.
- USA Swimming bio
- It Was A Kick For Andrew Gemmell
- Andrew Gemmell's Breakout Year
- Andrew Gemmell Swims Fast Quietly
- USA Swimming National Open Water Championships video
- Andrew Gemmell Takes Fran Crippen SafeSwim
- USA Swimming
- Olympic 10K Marathon Swim
- Marathon Swimming
- Open Water Swimming
- I Got Stung website
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Working The Dream At USA Swimming Open Water Championships
- Chip Carrigan Protects Athletes' Interests At All Times
- Castaic Lake Welcomes The Best America Has To Offer
- Castic Lake Will Be The Survival Of The Fittest
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- Like Father, Like Son In The Open Water World
- USA Championships Too Close To Call For 23 Minutes
- Short Or Long? USA Swimming Stars Go Long