Gemmell is a member of the 2012 USA Olympic Swim Team where he competed in the 1500m freestyle at the 2012 London Olympic Games.
At the 2008 FINA Youth World Swimming Championships, Gemmell won gold in the 400 m individual medley.
At the 2009 FINA World Championships, Gemmell won silver in the men's 10 km marathon swim. In the 5 km race, Gemmell finished 5th. Gemmell is a recipient of the United States 2009 male open water swimmer of the year award and was nominated for the 2009 Golden Goggle Awards as breakout swimmer of the year. At the 2010 Pan Pacific Swimming Championships, Gemmell placed 5th in the 1500m freestyle and 11th in the 400m individual medley.
He participated in the 2011 FINA World Championships in Shanghai, China where he was part of the gold medal winning 5 km Team Pursuit relay team. He also won the 2012 USA Swimming National Open Water Swimming Championships 10 km in Ft. Myers, Florida and the 2013 USA Swimming National Open Water Swimming Championships 5 km in Castaic Lake, California. He participated in the 5 km solo race and 5 km team pursuit relay at the 2013 FINA World Championships in Barcelona, Spain.
University of Georgia
• Chosen as a men's swimming team captain.
• Named the recipient of the B.W. "Bump" Gabrielsen Swimming Scholarship.
• Serves as a student-athlete (non-voting) representative on the UGA Athletic Association Board of Directors.
• Named to the USA Swimming National Open Water Team for 2013-14.
• Named to the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
- University of Georgia bio
- USA Swimming bio
- It Was A Kick For Andrew Gemmell
- Andrew Gemmell's Breakout Year
- Andrew Gemmell Swims Fast Quietly
- USA Swimming National Open Water Championships video
- Andrew Gemmell Takes Fran Crippen SafeSwim
- USA Swimming
- Olympic 10K Marathon Swim
- Marathon Swimming
- Open Water Swimming
- I Got Stung website
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Working The Dream At USA Swimming Open Water Championships
- Chip Carrigan Protects Athletes' Interests At All Times
- Castaic Lake Welcomes The Best America Has To Offer
- Castic Lake Will Be The Survival Of The Fittest
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- Like Father, Like Son In The Open Water World
- USA Championships Too Close To Call For 23 Minutes
- Short Or Long? USA Swimming Stars Go Long
- Team Pursuit At The 2013 FINA World Championships
- Mano-a-Man In The 5K - Thomas Lurz vs. Oussama Mellouli
- Team USA Selects Haley Anderson As Its Anchor
- Castaic Lake to Host 2014 USA Swimming Open Water National Championships
- Open Water Swimming Predictions For 2014
- How Copacabana Beach Changes Things In The Olympics
- Great Moves In Open Water Swimming - Marine Stadium
- NCAA Agrees Triathlon Is Emerging
- Drafting 101 - The Value Of Swimming In The Slipstream