From Openwaterpediaprofessional marathon swimmers. Maurer lives in Wiesbaden, Germany where she was born. She swims for the SSV Undine 08 e.V. Mainz swimming club, and trains together with Dimitri Colupaev and Marc-Oliver Stein under Nikolai Evseev in Mainz. She finished fifth in the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim at the 2012 London Olympic Games.
She participated in the 2011 FINA World Championships in in Shanghai, China where she qualified for the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim at the 2012 London Olympics. She also finished a close fourth at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games in the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim, missing a bronze medal by 0.9 seconds. She most recently won the FINA 10K Marathon Swimming World Cup series as the 2011 overall champion and was nominated for the 2011 World Open Water Swimming Woman of the Year.
She was inducted as an Honour Swimmer in the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame in 2009 and won the 2009 25 km world championships in Rome, Italy and a total of 8 FINA world championship medals. At the age of 37, Angela remained active on the FINA 10K Marathon Swimming World Cup and the FINA Open Water Swimming Grand Prix professional circuits. She also won 8 German national titles in 5K, 10K and 25K distances as well as 2 European Open Water Swimming titles in the 10K and 25K.
She is coached by her partner Nikolai Evseev with whom she has a child.
She has been studying at police technical college since 2007 and is a member of the Rhineland-Palatinate's state elite sports training program.
At the 2008 Beijing Olympics she finished a close fourth place in the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim, only a fraction of a second behind the bronze medalist Cassie Patten. At the 2012 London Olympic Games, she finished a close fifth in the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim, just behind Keri-Anne Payne and bronze medalist Martina Grimaldi.
2011 FINA World Championships
Maurer placed 8th (2:02:15.1) in the 2011 FINA World Championships in the 10K in Shanghai, China which qualified her for the 2012 Olympic Games in London.
As one of two mothers in the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim in Beijing, Maurer is representative of the fastest growing demographic in the sport - women:
2012 Olympic 10km Marathon Swim Results
GOLD Eva Risztov (HUN) 1:57:38.2
SILVER Haley Anderson (USA) 1:57:38.6
BRONZE Martina Grimaldi (ITA) 1:57:41.8
4. Keri-Anne Payne (GBR) 1:57:42.2
5. Angela Maurer (GER) 1:57:52.8
6. Ophelie Aspord (FRA) 1:58:43.1
7. Olga Beresnyeva (UKR) 1:58:44.4
8. Erika Villaecija (ESP) 1:58:49.5
9. Jana Pechanova (CZE) 1:58:52.8
10. Anna Guseva (RUS) 1:58:53.0
11. Melissa Gorman (AUS) 1:58:53.1
12. Karla Sitic (CRO) 1:58:54.7
13. Yumi Kida (JPN) 1:58:59.1
14. Yanel Pinto (VEN) 1:59:05.8
15. Natalia Charlos (POL) 1:59:58.7
16. Heidi Gan (MAS) 2:00:45.0
17. Cecilia Biagioli (ARG) 2:01:02.2
18. Zsofia Balazs (CAN) 2:01:17.8
19. Swann Oberson (SUI) 2:01:38.0
20. Wing Yung Natasha Terri Tang (HKG) 2:02:33.4
21. Lizeth Rueda Santos (MEX) 2:02:46.1
22. Marianna Lymperta (GRE) 2:04:26.5
Poliana Okimoto (BRA) DNF
Jessica Roux (RSA) DNF
Yanqiao Fang (CHN) DNS
- 2012 Olympic Marathon Swimming 10km Coverage
- FINA World Championships
- Finalists in the Women's Olympic Marathon Swim
- Angela Maurer on Wikipedia
- Angela Maurer Official German Website
- Open Water Swimming website
- 2011 World Cup Rankings
- World Open Water Swimming Woman of the Year
- Keri-Anne Payne Talks About Jellyfish And The Olympics
- Angela Maurer Fully Exposed - viewer discretion highly advised
- Girls Checking Out The Boys In The Open Water
- Marine Marks And Memories Among Open Water Swimmers