The Antarctic Peninsula is the northernmost part of the mainland of Antarctica. At the surface, it is the biggest, most prominent peninsula in Antarctica as it extends 1300 km from a line between Cape Adams (Weddell Sea) and a point on the mainland south of Eklund Islands. Beneath the ice sheet covering the Antarctic Peninsula, it consists of a string of bedrock islands that are separated by deep channels whose bottoms lie at depths considerably below current sea level and are joined together by a grounded ice sheet. Tierra del Fuego, the southern most tip of South America, lies only about 1000 km away across the Drake Passage.
The Antarctic Peninsula is currently dotted with numerous research stations and has multiple claims of sovereignty. The peninsula forms part of disputed and overlapping claims by Argentina, Chile and the United Kingdom. None of these claims have international recognition and the respective countries do not currently actively pursue enforcement.
Open Water Swims (bioprene only)
- Lewis Pugh has swum 1 km in the waters off Petermann Island and 1 mile near Deception Island, both in 2005.
- Lynne Cox has completed a 1.2-mile swim from the ship the Orlova to Neko Harbor in 25 minutes in 2002.
- Ram Barkai swam 1 km at 70º south latitude, near Maitri, in Long Lake in 2008.
- Ryan Stramrood, Ram Barkai and Kieron Palframan completed an Ice mile in Neko Harbor in Antarctica -1ºC (30.2ºF) water on 4 March 2014 amid icebergs, orcas and leopard seals.
- Andrew Chin, Toks Viviers and Gavin Pike completed an ice mile in Paradise Harbour in Antarctica in -1ºC (30.2ºF) water also on 4 March 2014 amid icebergs, orcas and leopard seals.
- Lewis Pugh's Swims In The Southern Ocean
- Swimming to Antarctica by Lynne Cox, Alfred A. Knopf, 2004 ISBN 0-15-603130-2
- Lynne Cox's Swim In Antarctica
- When Ink Freezes Over, You're At The End Of The Earth
- How Cool Is Deception At The Bottom Of The World
- Antartica Circle Ice Challenge: The Goal, Men And Cause
- Supermen Swim Past Icebergs, Orcas At Bottom Of World
- Fearless And Frozen At The Bottom Of The World
- Where Landmarks Are Pure Snowy White