Bruce served as the USMS head coach for the 9th and 10th FINA World Masters Championships in New Zealand (2002) and Italy (2004) respectively. He was named U.S. Masters Swimming 2003 Coach of the Year and has served as the Coaches Chair for USMS. Bruce is also on the Board of Directors of Oregon Masters Swimming as the Long Distance Chairman.
Currently, Bruce is completing his Level 1 USA Triathalon Coaching Certification. Bob received his B.S. from the College of Wooster, earned his teaching credentials at Springfield College, and received an M.A. in Exercise Science from the University of North Carolina.
Oregon Open Water Series
Oregon Open Water Series is a series of open water swims that have been conducted since 2000. The open water swims are conducted at local lakes in the state of Oregon. Individual results are tabulated for Oregon athletes, with scoring, awards, and recognition for a cumulative series. The purpose of this series is to promote fitness, competition, and fellowship in Oregon's unique outdoor settings. The 2013 Oregon Open Water Swim Series includes the following races:
- 1.2 km Bend
- 0.8 km, 2 km, 4 km Hagg Lake in Forest Grove
- 1-mile, 2-mile Foster Lake Cable Swims
- Relay, 1.5 km, 2.5 km, 5 km, and 10 km Applegate
- 17 km Portland Bridge Swim
- 1 km, 1.5 km, 0.5 km, 3 km, 5 km Cascade Lakes Swim Series & Festival at Elk Lake
- 0.5 km, 1 km, 1.5 km Cottage Grove Lake
- 0.5 km, 1.5 km and 3 km in Eel Lake