S. Brian Suddeth is an American open water swimmer who specializes in butterfly. He is also a Total Immersion stylist and computer security specialist from Bowie, Maryland. Brian was the first person to ever complete the one mile swim in the Great Chesapeake Bay Swim in butterfly, completing the swim in 42:46 (shown below) and repeated the achievement in 2013 with a time of 43:00. (Suddeth is to the right at the beginning of the 2011 GCBS video where they show the start of the 1-mile swim event). He started swimming lessons in 2006 at age 45 at the Sport Fit fitness center in Bowie, Maryland and first completed an open water mile butterfly at Rodney Scout Reservation in 2010. He has completed several other open water events including the 4.4 mile Great Chesapeake Bay Swim, all of them non-wetsuit. His goal is to move into much longer butterfly swims. He has made friends with other distance swimmers, including Dan_Projansky, Vicki Keith, Julie Bradshaw, and Penny Palfrey, and hopes to one day swim with each of them.
Open Water Swimming
10/23/2006 Started beginners swim class at age 45.
08/05/2007 Mile Swim BSA award.
11/06/2007 Started Total Immersion freestyle training.
02/15/2009 First time swimming 1-mile in continuous butterfly stroke.
08/05/2009 Double Mile Swim BSA .
11/15/2009 First 10K pool swim in Freestyle.
03/07/2010 First 5K pool swim in butterfly stroke.
08/06/2010 Mile Swim BSA - Openwater butterfly (a first at this camp open since 1923), Rodney Scout Reservation, North East, MD.
06/12/2011 Great Chesapeake Bay Swim - One Mile Bay Challenge - First Butterfly Crossing (#1300 All butterfly - non-wetsuit) 42:46. Current record in this stroke & event.
08/07/2011 First 1000 swimming miles logged.
03/25/2012 MD LMSC Championships - competed in 100 & 200 Fly and 500 Free.
05/13/2012 Centennial Lake, Ellicot City, MD 1-Mile Swim (#69 - first place male 50-54 non-wetsuit) 33:04.
05/27/2012 25th Anniversary Jim McDonnell 5K Lake Swim, Reston, VA (#356 no wetsuit) 1:58:15.
09/01/2013 Joined Arundle Breakfast Club - U.S. Masters
09/08/2013 BREAKOWT Seminar w/ Michael Phelps Swimming
10/24/2013 Joined the Open Water Swim Club
- Total Immersion Swimming
- Great Chesapeake Bay Swim
- LinkedIn Bio
- Daily News of OWS Article on GCBS 1st Mile Fly
- Brian Suddeth butterfly time in the 2011 Great Chesapeake Bay Swim 1-Mile event (first butterfly ever in this event)
- 2012 GCBS 4.4 Mile Non-Wetsuit Finishers
- 2012 GCBS Time - Suddeth
- Brian Suddeth butterfly time in the 2013 GCBS 1-Mile event (2nd butterfly on record in this event)
- Open Water Swimming website
- Butterfly Swim Rules In The Open Water
- List Of Butterfly Swims In The Open Water - Speed Comparisons
- Bowie & Crofton Open Water Swimmers In Chesapeake Bay Swim 2013
- Arundle Breakfast Club Swimming (Facebook site)
- BreakOWT Seminar w/ Michael Phelps Swimming
- About BreakOWT
- Sport Fit - Bowie, MD
- List Of Butterfly Swims In The Open Water
- Do Masters Rules Rule Or What In Open Water Butterfly?