From OpenwaterpediaHawaiian Channel Swim Association, a volunteer-run channel swimming governing body formed to recognize individuals who have successfully swum across the 9 major inter-island channels of the Hawaiian Islands. He is also an inductee in the Hawaii Swimming Hall of Fame and serves on its board of directors.
 Channel Swimming Career
Kawauchi has successfully swum across the following channels throughout the state of Hawaii:
- Pailolo Channel, first crossing from Molokai to Maui
- Alalakeiki Channel, first crossing from Kahoolawe to Maui
- Auau Channel, from Maui to Lanai
- Kalohi Channel, from Molokai to Lanai
- Alalakeiki Channel, from Maui to Kahoolawe