From OpenwaterpediaCharles 'Chip' Peterson is a 25-year-old world marathon swimming champion, specializing in the 5 km and 10 km distances. He swims from the North Carolina Aquatics Club.
He is a multiple USA Swimming national pool and open water swimming champion, currently training in North Carolina who was one of the top distance swimmers in the history of the University of North Carolina.
He has been hampered by illness since winning his first world championship medals (gold in the 10K and silver in the 5K) the 2005 World Swimming Championships in Montreal, Canada. His onshore hobbies include blues and jazz guitar and open water swimming as a member of the USA Swimming National Open Water Swimming Team.
After winning two world championship medals, Chip was awarded the Open Water Swimmer of the Year Award by Swimming World Magazine. He won the 1500-meter freestyle at the 2005 USA Swimming National Championships and at the 2007 Pan American Games. In the open water, he also won a silver medal in the 2007 Pan American Games 10K and several USA Swimming national open water titles. In 2010, he was named the 2010 Atlantic Coast Conference Swimming & Diving Scholar-Athlete of the Year and won the famously competitive RCP Tiburon Mile in San Francisco, California.
He currently holds the course record in the Flowers Sea Swim in the Cayman Islands.
- University of North Carolina bio
- The Intelligence of Open Water Swimmers
- USA Swimming Bio of Chip Peterson
- Chip Peterson Kicks It Into High Gear
- Chip Peterson's Bright Future
- Chip Peterson Victorious At Pan Pacs
- Open Water Swimming website
- USA Swimming
- Olympic 10K Marathon Swim
- Marathon Swimming
- I Got Stung website
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Working The Dream At USA Swimming Open Water Championships
- Chip Carrigan Protects Athletes' Interests At All Times
- Castaic Lake Welcomes The Best America Has To Offer
- Castic Lake Will Be The Survival Of The Fittest
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- Great Moves In Open Water Swimming - Marine Stadium
- Calm, Cool And Collected Charles
- Andreas Waschburger Wins Lac St-Jean 10K
- Chip On The Shoulder Of Two Germans