From OpenwaterpediaChloë McCardel (born 10 May 1985) is an accomplished open water swimmer from Australia who has completed a total of 6 English Channel crossings, including 2 two-way crossings. In 2010, she won the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim in 7:53, winning in a dramatic 5-second victory over second-place Jaime Caballero of Spain.
In July 2011, she attempted a three-way crossing of the English Channel. Her first lap of 9 hours 3 minutes which was the fastest crossing for 2011. She was disqualified by her support crew at 17 hours 35 minutes as they were concerned she may have had hypothermia.
She successfully completed the English Channel on 25 July 2011 in 9 hours 3 minutes, certified by the Channel Swimming Association. She also completed a two-way crossing of the English Channel in 2010 in 21 hours 48 minutes.
In 2012, she attempted another three-way crossing, but only completed a two-way crossing in 19 hours 20 minutes (9:50 first leg + 9:30 second leg). For her efforts, the Channel Swimming Association awarded her the Gold medal for fastest swim of the year, the Sotiraki Cup for the Fastest Swim by a Lady, and the Mark Rickhuss Memorial Trophy for the Fastest Two Way Swim of the Year.
In June 2013, she attempted a charity swim for cancer with a 170 km crossing of the Florida Strait from Cuba to Florida where she raised money for CanTeen, Can Assist, and Swim Across America. Under the guidance of her husband Paul McQueeney, she was pulled from the Florida Strait after 11 hours when she was stung badly by jellyfish.
- Chloë McCardel official website
- Channel Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- English Channel website
- Three-way Attempt Leads To Trio Of Awards
- NYC Swim bio
- Cuba To Florida. It's Possible. Is It Probable?
- Chloë Can Do Half Million For CanTeen And Can Assist
- Chloe McCardel, Swimming From Cuba To Florida In 2013
- The Art And Magic Of Open Water
- New Ways To Fight Box Jellyfish To Be Announced
- Chloe McCardel Dreams Big In Bathers, Goggles, Cap
- Shark Caged In The Ocean
- Swim, Speak And Greet Chloe McCardel
- 11-day Window For Chloë McCardel
- Is The Third Time A Charm? Sunluver With Chloë McCardel
- Chloe McCardel, The Calm Before The Calm
- Women Swimming Circles Around Manhattan Island
- Aussie Rules Swimming, Paul Newsome Carries On
- What Stopped Chloë McCardel?
- Chloë McCardel Defeated By Jellies
- Chloë McCardel To Explain What Happened
- Chloe McCardel Stings
- When Jellyfish Replace Sharks
- 1 + 1 > 2 In The Open Water Swimming World
- The Cuba Swim, Traditional Marathon Swimming It Is Not
- Within 50 Years Will It Be Crossed?
- Swimming An Ultra-Marathon In Place
- Live Online Entertainment For Marathon Swimmers
- Chloë McCardel Swims Through The Blackout
- Chloë McCardel In The Spa