The Cold Half is either a solo race or a 2-person relay. If performed as a relay, a support paddler is required. If performed as a relay, the swimmers rotate every 30 minutes with motorized escort required.
Swimmers will start at Stanley Main Beach and finish at Middle Island Beach with a barbeque and warm-up dinner held at the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club in front of Hong Kong's only fireplace.
Solo: $2,000 with a support paddler. Relays: $4,500 with a support motor boat.
Saturday, 23 February 2013 with a registration deadline of 16 February 2013.
The Cold Half
c/o Doug Woodring
6B Bonham Court
12 Bonham Road, Midlevels
Douglas Woodring is the founder of the Cold Half. He is also the Co-Founder and Managing Director of Ocean Recovery Alliance as well as organizes the Hong Kong / San Francisco Ocean Film Festival, the annual Clean Half Extreme Marathon Swim and Sheko Challenge open water swimming events in Hong Kong. The Clean Half Extreme Marathon Swim is one of the World's Top 100 Open Water Swims.
2012 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year Nomination
Day in and day out, Doug Woodring works tirelessly to bring the world’s attention to the plasticity of the world’s oceans. His open water events are the greenest in the world with their carbon-neutral options and biodegradable products. His projects, run under his NGO, Ocean Recovery Alliance, include the Plastic Disclosure Project and Global Alert – Floating Trash, reach global political leaders and an increasing number of citizens in a number of countries. He is a man of the sea, but he deals with the growing menace of ocean plasticity by going upstream and offering practical solutions that can be reasonably implement by individuals, corporations and governments. For his unwavering focus on a global issue with specific solutions, for his tying together open water swimming with the environmental problems of contemporary times, Doug Woodring is a worthy nominee for the 2012 WOWSA Open Water Swimming Man of the Year.
- Project Kaisei - Capturing the Plastic Vortex
- Clean Half Open Water Swim
- Open Water Swimming website
- Oceanic Big Five
- Sheko Challenge
- Bamboo Is Used At The Sheko Challenge
- Clean Half Turns 50
- Liz Schlicher Tops Women's Solos, Relays in The Clean Half
- Swimmers Are Perfect For This Role
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Doug Woodring, Ocean Environmentalist
- Dolphin Art From Shore To The Heavens
- The Cold Half, The Flip Side Of The Clean Half
- Swimming The Cold Half In A Warm Place
- It's Cold In Hong Kong
- Railroading Along The Wall, Rough Water At Its Best
- Cold Half To Become The Cold Standard
- The Two Going To The Five
- Trent Grimsey Headlines The Five In Hong Kong
- 4 To Attempt To Join Sub-3 Marathon Club
- What Does The Ocean Have To Say?
- 2013 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year Nominees