From OpenwaterpediaSwim Across America Dallas, one of America's Top 100 Open Water Swims, together with Andrea Hayes Dickson, also a member of the 1988 Olympic team, and Jeanne Cunningham, a former member of the University of Texas swim team.
Born and raised in Southern Maryland, Watters set multiple national age group records in the 100 and 200 breastroke and qualified for the Olympics in the 100m breaststroke at the 1988 Seoul Olympic. He swam for the University of Texas where he swam on 2 NCAA championship teams and was voted team captain his senior year.
Watters has been active with Swim Across America since 2009 when he participated in the San Francisco event. Since then he has returned to San Francisco annually and swam in the inaugural Swim Across America Baltimore event. In 2011 he helped bring Swim Across America to Dallas for the first time where he remains the Co-Director of the Dallas Committee for Swim Across America. He swims in memory of his Aunt Charlotte who lost her battle with cancer and to honor his nephew Lindsay who is a cancer survivor. He hopes that through his efforts and the efforts of all that swim, volunteer or donate their time to Swim Across America we can help bring an end to this terrible disease.
Swim Across America
With the help of over 1,500 volunteers nationwide in the USA and nearly 5,000 swimmers including past and current Olympians, SAA has raised over US$41 million to help find a cure for cancer through athleticism, community outreach and direct service.
Since 1987 SAA has grown to hold dozens of events all over the country, each with its own distinct personality. From San Francisco to Boston Harbor, Swim Across America began as a grassroots organization with events developing organically. Now, those events raise hundreds of thousands of dollars - and money raised is still given to local beneficiaries which happen to be some of the best in the world.
The SAA community is made up of swimmers, friends, parents, sons and daughters, teachers, coaches and the well - meaning. Many of our most loyal supporters aren't swimmers, but honor family and friends by donating, volunteering, or by helping us raise money in our continued effort to find a cure.
Its board members include Kerry Anderson, Robert Coakley, Bill Hicks, Scot Mackie, Brenda Nagle, Gerry Oakes, Jack Salerno, Kevin Shine, Richard Tompkins, Evan Vosburgh, Matt Vossler and Burt Zweigenhaft. Its Executive Director is Janel Jorgensen McArdle with Blake Chanowski as its Vice President of Operations at and Kathleen Foley as its Program Manager.
1. California - San Francisco Bay Open Water Swim on 29 September 2012
2. California - Swim Across America Long Beach on 23 September 2012
3. Connecticut - Stamford Open Water Swim on 30 June 2012
4. Florida - Tampa Bay Open Water Swim on 5 May 2012
5. Florida - Ozzie's Swim to Fight Cancer on 25 February 2012
6. Illinois - Chicago Open Water Swim on 4 August 2012
7. Massachusetts - Nantasket Beach Swim on 14 July 2012
8. Massachusetts - Boston Harbor Swim on 13 July 2012
9. Massachusetts - Boston Team Relay Challenge on 21 April 2012
10. Maryland - Raider's Rally Against Cancer on 14 January 2012
11. Maryland - Baltimore Open Water Swim on 23 September 2012
12. Maryland - Baltimore Pool Swim on 23 September 2012
13. North Carolina - Swimming the Distance for a Cancer Cure on 20 May 2012
14. New Jersey - Holmdel Pool Swim on 30 January 2012
15. New York - Saxon Woods Pool Swim
16. New York - Westchester Country Club Pool Swim
17. New York - Brookville Pool Swim
18. New York - Hamptons Open Water Swim on 7 July 2012
19. New York - Hempstead Pool Swim
20. New York - Jericho High School Pool Swim
21. New York - LIAC Pool Swim
22. New York - Lynbrook Pool Swim
23. New York - Plandome Pool Swim
24. New York - Rockville Pool Swim
25. New York - Sound to Cove Open Water Swim on 11 August 2012
26. New York - Swordfish Beach Club
27. New York - New York Athletic Club Pool Swim
28. New York - Chappaqua S&T Club Pool Swim
29. New York - Germonds Clarkstown Pool Swim
30. New York - Coveleigh Club Pool Swim
31. New York - Lake Isle Pool Swim on 4 August 2012
32. New York - Long Island Sound Open Water Swim on 28 July 2012
33. New York - Lakeside Pool Swim on 22 July 2012
34. New York - Orienta Beach Club Pool Swim on 21 July 2012
35. Rhode Island - Rhode Island Open Water Swim on 8 September 2012
36. Tennessee - Nashville Open Water Swim on 18 August 2012
37. Texas - Dallas Open Water Swim 9 June 2012
38. Virginia - Making Waves for Cancer Pool Swim on 29 January 2012
39. Washington - Seattle Open Water Swim on 8 September 2012
40. Wyoming - Dolphins Pool Swim