On 20 August 2011, Fry took 24 hours 39 minutes as a 52-year-old (52 years 296 days) to complete her two-way crossing. She began at 11:15 pm on August 19th and swam 13 hours 20 minutes to France, took a very short break on the French shore and then swam back to England in a fast 11 hour 19 minute effort.
She also holds the world record for - and was the first person to complete - the unprecedented double Ederle Swim, a 35-mile swim from Manhattan Island in New York to Sandy Hook, New Jersey.
At the age of 50, Fry also smashed the world record for swimming clockwise around Manhattan and became the first woman to swim around Manhattan Island in that direction when she completed the course in 11:41:05, breaking the old mark by over 6 hours. The old record was 17:48:30, set by Kris Rutford in 1995.
Fry has also finished fifth in the 2009 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim, successfully crossed the English Channel five times since 2003, and has run 10 running marathons as well as is the long-standing race director of the 25 km St. Vincent's Foundation Swim Across the Sound.
Solo Marathon Swimming Career
- Ederle Swim (2011), 11:05:07, 35.0 miles
- Ederle Swim (2010), 5:15:00, 17.5 miles
- Manhattan Island Marathon Swim (2009), 7:44:47, 28.5 miles
- Manhattan Island Marathon Swim (2009), 11:44:05, 28.5 miles in reverse direction
- Two-way English Channel (2011) 24:39:00, 42 miles
- English Channel (2008) 12:01:00, 21 miles
- English Channel (2007), 11:11:00, 21 miles
- Catalina Channel (2005), 8:56:00, 21 miles
- English Channel (2003), 9:05:00, 21 miles
- In Search of Memphre (2011), 25 miles
WOWSA Nomination Video
- Elizabeth Fry In The English Channel
- Fry Sets Record
- Another Record-breaking Swim By Elizabeth Fry
- Swim Across The Sound
- Open Water Swimming website
- English Channel website
- Welcome to the English Channel
- World Open Water Swimming Woman of the Year
- NYC Swim bio
- Catalina Channel Swimming Federation website
- Channel Swimming and Piloting Federation website
- Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming website