From Openwaterpediaopen water swimmer who is an NCAA champion and a world-class professional marathon swimmer who won the 2013 FINA 10K Marathon Swimming World Cup series. Her performance and victory of the FINA World Cup series was nominated for the 2013 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year. She is the first American to win the overall title on the FINA 10K Marathon Swimming World Cup professional circuit, male or female.
Courtesy of worldopenwaterswimmingassociation.com
Brunemann, originally from Kentucky, took advantage of a redshirt year in 2009 to get comfortable with the world of open water swimming. With her ability to get stronger as a race goes on, the open water swimming events were a great fit for the personable athlete. After spending just three days learning the basics at a camp in South Florida, she entered the USA Swimming National Open Water Swimming Championships and won the 10K championship in her open water debut. In winning the event, Brunemann qualified for the 2009 World Swimming Championships in Rome, where she continued to make a splash by being the only swimmer to place in the top 10 in both the 5K and 10K.
She was named USA Swimming's Female Open Water Swimmer of the Year just one year after her first experience outside of the swimming pool, and is currently on the USA Swimming National Open Water Swimming Team.
She has won a total of 4 FINA 10KM Marathon Swimming World Cup races: 2 in 2011 including a race in Shantou, China and Hong Kong's Repulse Bay, and 2 in 2013 including a race in Santos, Brazil and Viedma, Argentina. She has also won amateur ocean swims like the Oceanside Labor Day Pier Swim where her fiance Michael Klueh also won. She placed fourth at the 2013 World University Games 10 km marathon swim in Kazan, Russia and won the FINA 10K Marathon Swimming World Cup at the 59th annual Traversée internationale du lac St-Jean in Roberval, Québec, Canada on 25 July 2013.
- Emily Bruneman on Twitter
- University of Michigan bio
- Emily Brunemann on Swimming World TV
- 2011 FINA 10KM Marathon Swimming World Cup Rankings
- Open Water Swimming
- A Future Wave - Emily Brunemann, Michael Klueh Win Oceanside
- 1st Stop On FINA World Cup Circuit
- Marathon Swimming
- Emily Brunemann Goes 2 For 2 On FINA World Cup Circuit
- Working The Dream At USA Swimming Open Water Championships
- Chip Carrigan Protects Athletes' Interests At All Times
- Castaic Lake Welcomes The Best America Has To Offer
- Castic Lake Will Be The Survival Of The Fittest
- American Women Heading To Another 5K Battle
- Twichell, Ponsele, Šitić On Universiade Podium
- Emily Brunemann Wins FINA World Cup to Take Lead
- Jose Luis Larrosa, Darkhorse At BCT Gdynia Marathon
- Christian Jennings Has 10,000 Reasons To Defend Her Title
- Emily Brunemann Looks To Close Out Season With A Smile
- Tomasz Pąchalski Helps Prepare Poland
- Emily Brunemann Wins FINA World Cup
- No One Rains On Emily Brunemann's Parade
- Emily Brunemann's 10-month Odyssey On The Pro Circuit
- 2013 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year Nominees