Potvin has the most coaching victories in the history of the Traversée Internationale du lac St-Jean, guiding John Kinsella and Paul Asmuth to numerous wins in one of the most famous marathon swims in the world. He also coached the Canadian national [[open water swimming] team at the 1991 and 1994 World Swimming championships and was the former president of the World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation.
"Open water swimming is a sport I adore. It's one of the rare sports in which just finishing is an accomplishment."
- With A Valiant Heart, Nothing Is Impossible
- Gilles Potvin Still Passionate 71 Years Into It
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
- Canadian open water swimming
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- Traversée internationale du lac St-Jean
- What The Mind Believes, The Body Achieves
- What Goes Around Comes Around