Gougane Barra (Irish: Guagán Barra, meaning "the rock of Barra") is nestled in the Cork mountains in Ireland where the lake remains an unsoiled Irish gem and is quickly becoming one of Ireland's most iconic images.
In Irish mythology we all know the story of Saint Patrick and how he banished the snakes from Ireland. But what most people didn't know was that he didn't finish the job, he forgot one. The one he "forgot" was a huge winged serpent and he gave the responsibility of getting rid of this to Saint Finbarr. St Finbarr, after a mighty struggle, drowned the creature in Gougane Lake. He then cast the winged serpent from the lake and when it landed the impression its body made filled with water and became the River Lee.
Open Water Swimmer
Open Water Swimmer is an open water swimming series event management company in Ireland. Co-founder Wayne Timmons organizes open water swimming series in Lough Key, Lough Ennell, Gougane Barra and Glendalough, some of Ireland's most beautiful waterways.
- Lough Key open water swimming event
- Lough Ennell open water swimming event
- Gougane Barra open water swimming event
- Glendalough open water swimming event
- Open Water Swimmer website
- Open Water Swimmer Facebook page
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Serious Swimming - Open Water Swim Series Around The World