Guila owns and runs Say Yes To Life Swims LLC. This Seattle-based business provides open-water Swim Excursions from May to October, in some of the most beautiful locales in the Northwest United States. Swim Excursion participants range from triathletes, pool swimmers trying open water swimming for the first time, and even Olympic-level competitors. Swim Excursions include safety kayak accompaniment, use of a changing cabana and special CoreWarmers, plus delicious hot chocolate and snacks after the swim. Camaraderie and joy motor these events, and the ratio of swimmers to kayaks never exceeds 6:1.
Guila learned how to swim at age 46. Since then, she has swum from Alcatraz Island to San Francisco ten times, and in 2011, Guila swam a 5 km (no wetsuit) in Alaska’s Sitka Sound. In 2013, she swam a 10k in San Francisco Bay, and has participated in dozens of other open water events. She swims "skin" year-round in the Pacific Northwest with a small group of equally crazy friends. Puget Sound temperatures hover in the mid-forties (F) for months, and the air temperature often falls to the upper 20's during the winter.
Guila is also principal of Guila Muir and Associates, a Seattle-based firm specializing in developing professionals’ facilitation, presentation and training skills. Since 1983, Guila has trained thousands of people on an international level. She has also worked as an adjunct professor in Seattle University’s Graduate School of Education.
Her book, “Instructional Design That Soars: Shaping What You Know Into Classes That Inspire,” was published in February 2013. Guila sees strong parallels between the creativity, technicality and pure physicality of open water swimming and the art of teaching.
2014 Say Yes! to Life Swim Series
- 17 May - Seattle Bonfire Bash: Early season ¾-mile swim in Puget Sound with trained safety kayaker accompaniment, followed by a beach bonfire. Wetsuit and pre-registration are required.
- 31 May - Seattle Conquer Your Half Ironman: 1.2-mile swim perfectly scheduled as practice for summer triathlons with an open water swimming clinic included. Pre-registration is required.
- 31 May - Seattle Conquer Your Ironman: 2.4-mile swim to help prepare to nail that Ironman with an open water swimming clinic included. Pre-registration is required.
- 28 June - Seattle Tubby Trout: 3.2-mile swim that tests your endurance in beautiful Lake Washington. All swimmers win a prize. Pre-registration is required.
- 16 July - Seattle Wednesday Evening Stress Relief: 0.5 miles, a short Excursion that will increase both your confidence and competence in the open water. Pre-registration is required.
- 16 July - Seattle Wednesday Evening Stress Relief (1 mi). What a relaxing end to your day! Pre-registration is required.
- 24 August - Wilderness Adventure Swim #1: 1-2 miles outside Seattle in a pristine lake. This is as luxurious as open water swimming can get that includes a gourmet lunch, Swim Trivia, extended yoga, and unforgettable vistas. Pre-registration is required.
- 14 September - Circumnavigate Seward: 2.4 miles, a perfect Ironman training in an incredibly scenic setting. Third year for this popular swim; it fills fast. Pre-registration is required.
- 20 September - Wilderness Adventure Swim #2: 1-2 miles outside Seattle in a pristine lake. This is as luxurious as open water swimming can get! Includes a gourmet lunch, Swim Trivia, extended yoga, and unforgettable vistas. Pre-registration is required.
- 5 October - Seattle Agua Fresca: 1 mile in Lake Washington at its gorgeous best in early October. Use this Swim Excursion to extend your summer little longer. Pre-registration is required.
- 12 October - Seattle Autumn at Alki: 1 mile popular ocean swim. Beach bonfire and fish n’ chips lunch included. Wetsuit and pre-registration is required.
- Say Yes To Life Swims LLC
- Guila Muir's Train the Trainer
- I Got Stung By Jellyfish. Tell Your Story
- Say Yes To Life In The Open
- Rounding The Horn Of Seward In Seattle
- Swimming In Seattle
- Seattle Bonfire Bash
- Seattle Conquer Your Half Ironman
- http://say-yes-to-life-swims.com/event/conquer-your-iron-man/ Seattle Conquer Your Ironman]
- Seattle Tubby Trout
- Seattle Wednesday Evening Stress Relief
- Wilderness Adventure Swim #1
- Circumnavigate Seward
- Wilderness Adventure Swim #2
- Seattle Agua Fresca
- Seattle Autumn at Alki
- Say Yes To Life In Washington