Her humility, grit, determination and sheer will power were something to see. "It was quite cold. It got very tiring at the end. But I kept driving myself because I really wanted to achieve it, not only for myself, but also for my friends and family as well. I did it to get fit, but I would like to do it for charity, namely Huntington Disease. I trained for five years. I wore my shoulders out. I would do it again, but perhaps I would also like to do something different. Like the Alcatraz Swim."
She was a member of the successful, unprecedented, 5-day Bering Strait Swim relay, a 53-mile (86 km) relay crossing from Cape Dezhnev in Chukotka, Russia, to Cape Prince of Wales in the state of Alaska, USA. She also completed a 1000m swim at the 2012 Russian Winter Swimming Championships in water temperatures of 0.3°C and air temperatures between - 30°C and -33°C in Tyumen (Russian: Тюме́н).
Swim of Peace Ouma - Djerba
She also participated in the 26 km Swim of Peace Ouma - Djerba in Tunisia on 2 June 2013 together with Dave Cobell, Nejib Belhedi, Adam Walker, Haydn Welch, Nicola Fraser, Silke Fraser, Rebecca Jarre, Thomas Noblett, Claire Noblett, Keith Bartolo, Gabriele Galli, and Mauro Giaconia. The ouma event was organized by Nejib Belhedi.
Television Reports on Jackie Cobell
Bering Strait Swim
Cobell will also be a member of the Bering Strait Swim, a 53-mile (86 km) relay swim attempt from Cape Dezhnev in Chukotka, Russia, to Cape Prince of Wales in the state of Alaska, USA among a team of experienced extreme swimmers.
1. Yuri Tsiganchuk, Blagoveshchensk, Russia
2. Yuri Myagkikh, Russia
3. Vladimir Chegorin, Russia
4. Maria Chizhova, Novosibirsk, Russia
5. Elena Guseva, Russia
6. Kieron Palframan, Cape Town, South Africa
7. Ram Barkai, Cape Town, South Africa
8. Jack Bright, UK
9. Vladimir Litvinov, Blagoveshchensk, Russia
10. Oksana Veklich, Blagoveshchensk, Russia
11. Aleksandr Jakovlev, Jelgava, Latvia
12. Matías Ola, Buenos Aires /Tucuman Argentina
13. Henri Kaarma, Tallinn, Estonia
14. Toomas Haggi, Tallinn, Estonia
15. Nuala Moore, Ireland
16. Anne Marie Ward, Donegal, Ireland
17. Claudia Rose, San Diego, USA
18. Toks Viviers, Cape Town, South Africa
19. Melissa O’Reilly (‘Mo’), Lambertville, New Jersey, USA
20. Ryan Stramrood, Cape Town, South Africa
21. Scott Lautman, Seattle, Washington, USA
22. Cristian Vergara, Santiago, Chile
23. Lelané Rossouw-Bancroft, Newark, Delaware, USA
24. Rafał Ziobro, Krakow, Poland
25. Andrew Chin, Cape Town, South Africa
26. Jackie Cobell, Tunbridge Wells, UK
27. Paul Duffield, West Kelowna, BC, Canada
- International Relay Swim Across The Bering Strait Official Website
- Bering Strait Swim
- Bering Strait Swim - Ice Bering
- Britain's Got Talent
- Jackie Cobell Comes To California
- Charity Swim for Huntington's Disease Association.
- The Oldest Men and Women in the Sea
- Updated 24-Hour Club
- On The Bright Side: Extreme Training in a 12-meter Pool
- A Fitting Outcome In The United Kingdom
- Equipment Advances On Land And In The Water
- Swim Of Peach Ouma - Djerba In Tunisia
- Swims Of Peace From Sahara To Arctic Circle
- The Who's Who Of Extremists Gather At Top Of World
- Do Ice Swimmers Have Bigger Brains?
- Swim Of Peace Ouma - Djerba In Tunisia
- What Open Water Swim Could Be More Dangerous?
- Bering Strait Swim Succeeds
- Bright As Can Be
- Mind Over Matter, Swimming 1000m @ 0ºC
- Swimming In Siberia, Russian Winter Swimming Champs
- Ice Swimming At The Winter Olympics