From OpenwaterpediaInternational Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame as an Honour Swimmer in 2002 and served on its Board of Directors until his passing in 2012.
Doty swam across or the length of most New Hampshire lakes and swam on the professional circuit in World Professional Marathon Swimming Association races in Chicago, La Tuque, Chiccoutimi and Rhode Island, and made two English Channel attempts. He established the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame Davids-Wheeler Award in 1968, started the Boston Light Swim in 1978 and founded the New England Marathon Swimming Association in 1978 as a charity organization to study water conditions, water safety and promote swimming. He has also completed marathon swims around Cape Ann in Gloucester, Massachusetts in 12 hours 31 minutes, completed the Boston Light Swim 14 times, completed a double Graves Light swim in 11 hours 45 minutes and completed a double Boston Light Swim in 10 hours.
He is the namesake for the Jim Doty Memorial Mile Swim in Boston Harbor.
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame website
- New England Marathon Swimming Association website
- International Swimming Hall of Fame website
- Heavyweight of the Marathon Swimming World
- Memorial Service for Jim Doty
- Celebrating The Legacy of Jim Doty
- Eric Nilsson Faces Wind, Whitecaps To Win Boston Light Swim