From OpenwaterpediaJamie Patrick, a business leader, a family man and endurance athlete, completed an unprecedented 111-mile, 31-hour Swimming California charity swim in August 2011 down the Sacramento River in northern California. He was the 2011 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year and the creator of the Adventure Swim Contest and host of Jamie's Swim Camp and Jamie’s Swim Camp III, The Lake Tahoe Edition. He is also one of the founding members of the Lake Tahoe Swimming Society and is co-organizing the Myrtle Huddleston Honorary Swim in Lake Tahoe, and organizes the Tahoe Rough Water Swim together with Paul Lundgren.
The Californian, who started swimming as a youngster, trained under renowned Olympic swimmers Matt Biondi and Tim Shaw, two of the greatest swimmers America has produced. Jamie shares their intensity for competition and for extending himself to reach his limits. He completed the first double-crossing of Lake Tahoe in 2010, done in a wetsuit.
His swims were subject of a documentary produced and broadcast by Universal / NBC. He also hosts the Jamie's Swim Camps in northern California. His 68-mile solo nonstop wetsuit adventure swim, called the Tahoe 360 scheduled for 31 August - 2 September 2012, will also be the subject of a feature documentary filmed by Mike Madden and produced by Lara Popyack.
He also completed a crossing of the Strait of Gibraltar in 3 hours 42 minutes together with Jen Schumacher, Oliver Wilkinson and Darren Miller on a 4-wide and will attempt a 90-mile (144.8 km) Great Lake Swim in August 2014 from Milwaukee, Wisconsin to Chicago, Illinois across Lake Michigan that will be broadcast live in its entirety.
World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year
He was recognized and honored at the 2012 Global Open Water Swimming Conference and the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame induction ceremonies on the RMS Queen Mary on 22 September 2012 in Long Beach, California as the 2011 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year.
Open Water Wednesday Video
Click HERE to access the full-length interview.
Strait of Gibraltar 4-wide
2011 World Open Water Swimming Awards
Lake Tahoe Swimming Society
- Universal / NBC Documentary
- Swimming California Official Website
- Jamie Patrick, individual website
- Tahoe Triple
- Africa to Italy
- Jamie Patrick Feeds On Swimming California
- World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year
- Rules and Results
- Lake Tahoe Swimming Society website
- High and Live on Lake Tahoe
- Jamie Patrick Is 2011 WOWSA Man of the Year
- Open Water Swimming
- High Society In Lake Tahoe
- Open Water Swimming...Not As Easy As It Looks
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- I Do Not Know Yet What I Cannot Do
- Lake Tahoe Swimming Society website
- Underneath The Surface Of Lake Tahoe
- Learning How To Swim At 30: The Magic Of Myrtle
- WOW...Whatta Year Of Achievement
- Swim Stay And Play In Lake Tahoe
- Have No Fear Swimming Under The Golden Gate Bridge
- Tahoe Rough Water Swim
- 1.2 Miles Long, 1.2 Miles High, Tahoe Rough Water Swim
- Kate Greene On The HI-SEAS
- Product Placement In Open Water Swimming
- Publicizing Heroes And Heroines Of Open Water Swimming
- Camping With Ned Denison And Jamie Patrick
- Darren Miller On The Difficulties Of The Oceans Seven
- Dealing With Insomnia Before Getting In The Open Water
- Paul Lundgren's Transformation Off The Grid Into The Wild
- Expect The Unexpected Déjà Vu
- Está Bien...A 4-Wide Across The Strait Of Gibraltar
- 2013 Season Results From Asociación De Cruce A Nado Del Estrecho De Gibraltar
- Rafael Gutiérrez Mesa, A Cross-Continental Champion
- The Great Lake Swim
- Go Big Young Man Go Big
- Crews Are Made of Special People
- The Back Story Of Jamie Patrick's Great Lake Swim
- The Ubiquity Of The Great Lake Swim
- Open Water Predictions For 2014
- Jamie Patrick To Join Legions Of Lake Swimmers
- Great Plans For The Great Lake Swim
- Where Will Jamie Patrick Stand In The Marathon Pantheon?
- Jamie Patrick To Swim Towards The Windy CIty
- Top 25 Individuals In Openwaterpedia