Dr. Jane Katz is a renowned educator, speaker, coach and author with a background as a world-class competitive and long-distance swimmer who was inducted in the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame as an Honour Administrator in its Class of 2014. She is currently a professor at John Jay College of Criminal Justice of the City University of New York in the Department of Physical Education and Athletics, teaching fitness and swimming to New York City police and firefighters.
As a member of the 1964 United States Synchronized Swimming Performance Team in Tokyo, Dr. Katz helped pioneer the acceptance of synchronized swimming as an Olympic event. At the XXVII Olympiad in Sydney, Australia in 2000, Dr. Katz was awarded the Federation Internationale de Natation (FINA) Amateur Certificate of Merit to honor her lifetime of "dedication and contribution to the development" of the sport of swimming.
Dr. Katz earned a Masters degree in Therapeutic Recreation for Aging and a Doctor of Education degree in Gerontology from Columbia University.
Inspiration and Instruction
After being injured in a 1979 car accident, Dr. Katz devised her own aquatic program to speed her rehabilitation. From this experien she created a popular series of instructional books and videos that have been used worldwide. Among them are Swim Basics – Aquatics for Lifetime Fitness (a 2005 DVD) and Your Water Workout: No-Impact Aerobics and Strength Training From Yoga, Pilates, Tai Chi and More” (Broadway Books, 2003) and Swimming For Total Fitness co-authored by Nancy P. Bruning (Broadway Books, 1993).
On March 27, 2011 Dr. Katz was inducted into The National Jewish Sports Hall of Fame in Commack Long Island for her pioneering athletic contributions to the field of aquatics.
That same year, Dr. Katz was awarded a Certificate of Merit from the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame at a special ceremony at the United Nations on June 19, 2011. She was also recognized by the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame as an Honour Administrator in its Class of 2014.
Acceptance Speech at the United Nations
- Global Aquatics
- United States Masters Swimming citation
- City of New York University NewsSweat | Making the Water a Comfort Zone, New York Times July 31, 2010
- Dr. Jane Katz honored at the United Nations
- Explaining The International Marathon Swimming Hall Of Fame
- Katz Out Of The Bag And Into The Water
- Dr. Jane Katz
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
- 2014 International Marathon Swimming Hall Of Fame Honourees
- Jane Katz Honored By The International Marathon Swimming Hall Of Fame
- Dr. Jane Katz At The Crossroads Of Aquatic History
- Professor Katz Squared In The Water