James Cheda Wheeler from Richmond, California is known as one of the aquatic industries’ most entertaining and informative speakers on the subjects of aquatic risk management, safety and training. He was awarded one of the prestigious Paragon Awards for aquatic safety in 2009 from the International Swimming Hall of Fame. He is currently a General Recreation Supervisor for the City of Oakland, California.
His background includes working at waterfronts, beaches, pools and water parks. It is this extraordinary blend of hands-on experience that gives him his unique and innovative perspective on aquatic operational safety and training. During his thirty years of working in the field he has contributed as a leader to the National Recreation and Park Association, California Park and Recreation Society and United States Masters Swimming.
In 2007, he was selected as one of Aquatic International’s “Power 25 in Aquatics” and has received professional awards that include two California Park and Recreation Society Presidential Awards, a SCPPOA Citation award, the International Swimming Hall of Fame’s Paragon Award for Aquatic Safety and distinguished service awards from the National Recreation and Park Association and US Masters Swimming. Jim is the President of Total Aquatic Management, an aquatic consulting and training company that provides “TOTAL Guard” the nations leading advanced lifeguard training program.
Wheeler has presented at over 150 local, state and national conferences on the subject of aquatic inspections, safety and training. He has provided accident investigation services and performed expert witness work for numerous attorneys and insurance pools. He has performed aquatic audits for cities and corporations nationwide and is considered an innovator and leader in the field of aquatics.
Training / Certification
- California Park and Recreation Society (CPRS), Administrators Institute
- National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA), National Aquatic Management School
- National Recreation and Park Association, Pacific Risk Management School
- National Pool and Waterpark Aquatic Safety School
- California Specialized Training Institute – Disaster Training Course
- Certified Aquatic Facility Operator
- American Red Cross Instructor Trainer, WSI, LGI, CPR, CPR FPR, 1st Aid, AED, PDT, O2
- National Pool and Water Park Lifeguard Training Program – Instructor Trainer
- 2005-2006 California Park & Recreation Society State Secretary/Treasurer
- 2003-2004 California Park & Recreation Society State, Council of Sections Rep.
- 2002-2003 ARC Bay Area Health and Safety Committee Member
- 2001-2003 CPRS District 1 Board of Directors, Administrators Section Representative
- 1994-2002 NRPA Pacific Risk Management School, Board of Regents and Instructor
- 1998-2002 NRPA National Aquatic Management School, Instructor
- 1999-2000 Fighting Back Partnership, Vallejo, Community Council Member
- 1999-2000 Vallejo Neighborhood Improvement Partnership Committee Member
- 1999-2000 ARC Solano County, Chairman of Community Education Committee
- 1999-2000 ARC Bay Area Board of Directors, Board Member
- 1991-1997 CPRS Aquatic Section, Founder, Board Member, President 1995-1996
- 1991-1996 NRPA National Aquatic Council, Region Rep. ’91-93, President ’94-96
- 1991-1995 CPRS Legislative Committee, Aquatic Section Representative
- 1991-1993 CPRS District 3 Board of Directors, Member at Large
- 1989-2002 Bay Area Public Pool Operators, Member, Steering Committee 1991-1994