From Openwaterpediaopen water swimmer and adventure writer from Brooklyn, New York, USA.
Marathon Swimming Career
DaPrato is the 421st swimmer to make a one way crossing of the Strait of Gibraltar (2013, non-wetsuit, one way crossing) on 16 October 2013 in 5 hours 16 minutes together with James Penrose and David Cook. He has completed other extreme swims such as the Boston Light Swim (2010), the 8.2-mile Pennock Island Challenge in Alaska (2008), the Great Salt Lake Open Water Marathon Swim (2011, and San Francisco Bay's Bridge-to-Bridge 10k Swim twice (2009 and 2010).
His "extreme swim" essays "TO ALASKA'S DARK INSIDE PASSAGE" (2009) AND "NORTH TO THE BOSTON LIGHT" (2010) are widely published and easily accessible on the net. His poems are also widely published and many relate to the challenges of open water swimming. (links are below)
Poems by John DaPrato
- Poems by John Daprato
- Somewhere in the Sky
- A Star Over Night Sea
- Be A Trooper, A Century Of Open Water Swimming History
- Asociación de Cruce a Nado del Estrecho de Gibraltar website
- Google Earth Flyover of Oceans Seven
- Nadando El Estrecho, Sus Orígenes Y Su Historia
- Marathon Swimming Is A Global Phenomena
- Marathon Swimming
- Open Water Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Three Amigos Meet Up In Morocco
- When Do We Separate?