John van Wisse
From OpenwaterpediaManhattan Island Marathon Swim (2000, 2008, 2009), and was runner-up to Erica Rose in 2011. In the English Channel, he swam an 8 hour, 17 minute solo crossing in 1994, and a 19 hour 55 minute two-way crossing in 2010. For the latter, he was nominated for the World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year.
Van Wisse competes regularly in short-distance open-water races on the Victorian coast of Australia. As a triathlete, he is a past winner of the New Zealand Half-Ironman Championship (2001) and fourth-place finisher at the 2001 New Zealand Ironman.
- John van Wisse Official website
- Stubbornness Leads To Satisfaction And Success
- NYC Swim results
- 3 Remain in the 3-Way
- John & Tammy Van Wisse On Open Water Wednesday
- Venus vs. Mars Around Manhattan Island
- Black-ice Open Water Swim Club website
- These Swimmers Are Tough
- Looking Under The Surface
- Kits Pool, An Alternative To The Open Water
- Swim Agelessly In The Open Water
- Look Behind And Below You In The Open Water