Weissmuller was a six-time Olympic (5 gold + 1 bronze) at the 1924 and 1928 Olympic Games. He went undefeated in freestyle events between 1921 and 1929 with his longest swim being the 3.2 km (2 miles) Chicago River Race. In 1970, he accepted an assignment as the International Commissioner of Marathon Swimming and represented the sport of marathon swimming and the World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation.
Weissmuller swam for the Illinois Athletic Club, winning 52 US National Championships and setting 67 world records. He is famously known as an actor, starring as Tarzan of the Apes in 12 films between 1932 and 1948.
Tarzan Movie Clips
- International Swimming Hall of Fame website
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame website
- Luane Rowe, Rare As A Pink Dolphin
- Are Open Water Swimmers Watermen?
- Speedos Or Board Shorts: Swimmers vs. American Men
- Ryan Cochrane Heads To Ice
- Cheetah Passes Away
- Stubby Was Studly
- Daniel Takata Gomes Goes 3 For 3 With FINA
- What Makes Great Swimmers?