Karah Nazor Friberg
Karah Nazor Friberg, Ph.D. is an English Channel swimmer, South End Rowing Club member, and the founder of the C.O.W.S. (Chattanooga Open Water Swimmers) and Swim the Suck, a 10-mile Swim in the Tennessee River Gorge in Chattanooga, Tennessee, U.S.A. (Swim the Suck).
Her passion for the open water has led her to spend time giving back to the sport and acclimatizing to the cold water. She has swum in places as varied as San Francisco Bay, Tennessee River, Hawaii and the English Channel. She has also studied different bodies of water and the existing marine life and is also a well-published biology professor. She has swum with all kinds of marine life and is a strong advocate for use of Shark Shield in open water swimming, to protect against the possibility of a shark attack and to protect sharks. An essay "Why the Shark Shield is Good for Sharks and Swimmers" can be found here.
In an Open Water Wednesday, Karah explains many aspects of the Shark Shield and her perspective of new proposed Wildlife Protection Best Practices that the global open water swimming community are currently considering.
She swam the English Channel (first person from Tennessee) on July 13, 2008 in 12 hours 28 minutes with Channel Swimming Association-certified pilot Eric Hartley of Pathfinder Charters. She swam the Pailolo Channel from Maui to Molokai on July 13, 2011 in a time of 4 hours 30 minutes with pilot Jeremy Gooding.
Website: Karah Nazor Friberg website
• Swim the Suck 10 Mile Chattanooga, Tennessee. October 8, 2011. 4 hours 3 minutes, 11th place overall.
• Pailolo Channel Swim from Maui to Molokai, Hawaii. July 13, 2011. 4 hours 30 minutes with pilot Jeremy Gooding.
• Swim the Suck 10 Mile Chattanooga, Tennessee. October 16, 2010. 3 hours 28 minutes, 1st Place Women, 3rd Overall.
• Santa Barbara 6 Mile Ocean Swim 2009” Santa Barbara, California. July 12, 2009. 2 hours 41 minutes 45 seconds. 3rd Place Women.
• Trans Monterey Bay Relay Swim - 23 miles, Monterey, California. August 2008. 9 hours 27 minutes.
• English Channel Solo July 13, 2008 in 12 hours 28 minutes with CSA-certified pilot Eric Hartley of Pathfinder Charters .
• Bridge to Bridge to Bridge 21 Miler, San Francisco Bay, California. June 2008. China Camp to Golden Gate Bridge to Bay Bridge. 6 hours.
• SERC Alcatraz Invitational 2007, San Francisco, California. 3rd Place Women. 29:42:20.
• Maui Channel Swim, September 2007.
• Lake Tahoe Solo, July 2007, 4 hrs 36 minutes - 2nd Place Overall
• First Annual Swim Around the Rock, San Francisco, California. June 2006. 1 hr 19 minutes, Overall Winner.
• Division 1 College Swimming 1995-1999.