From OpenwaterpediaBCT Gdynia Marathon.
BCT Gdynia Marathon
The BCT Gdynia Marathon is a 19.5 km marathon swim between Hel and Gdynia in Poland held annually in late August. The total pool of prizes amounts to US$28,000, including two first-place cash awards of US$10,000 for the overall female and male winners. The event`s participant limit is 15.
He serves as the CEO and the author of the whole plan to renew the open water marathon tradition in the Bay of Puck.
Gdynia is a large coastal city in Gdańsk Bay on the south coast of the Baltic Sea. Hel Peninsula is a long 35 km sand bar separating the Bay of Puck from the open sea. Average water temperature varies between 16-18ºC, which makes the race very demanding. The event also includes an open race of 2.95 km and a 4×200m relay race to be held on 25 August 2013.
BCT Gdynia Marathon recalls tradition of open water swimming marathons that took place in the 1960s and early 1970s in the Bay of Gdansk. In 2011 pilot edition was held, with 3.5 km long route and over 50 participants. Experience gained from organising the race led to decision to hold full, 10 mile long, swim between Hel Peninsula and city of Gdynia in 2012 and a longer 19.5 km race in 2013.
With a current annual handling capacity of some 750.000 TEUs, and a potential capacity of 1.2m TEUs, the Port of Gdynia's Baltic Container Terminal (BCT) is the leading container terminal in Poland and one of the largest in the Baltic region. 2007 record-breaking result - 493 860 TEUs, consolidates and places BCT in the top 3 container terminals in the Baltic region overall.
- BCT Gdynia Marathon entry form and regulations
- BCT Gdynia Marathon website
- Poland Pays Plenty
- Fast Open Water Swimmers Headed to Poland
- BCT Gdynia Marathon Race
- Petar Stoychev Wins $10G At BCT Gdynia Marathon
- List Of Marathon Swims Around The World
- Marathon Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming website
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
- More Than 28,000 Reasons To Head To Poland
- Call For The World's Best Pros And Interested Amateurs
- The Polish Extravaganza, 2014 BCT Gdynia Marathon