From OpenwaterpediaKy Hurst (born 1981 in Nambour, Queensland) is a two-time Australian Olympic open water swimmer (2008 Beijing Olympics and 2012 London Olympics) and one of the most renowned Ironman (surf lifesaving) in Australian history.
His work ethic combined with an unnatural affinity for the water, especially in rough conditions, have made him a special talent in the open water.
Nicknamed Killer, Hurst attended Bond University on a sporting scholarship and studied property development and business. He also competed in the third season of the television series Dancing with the Stars (Australian TV series).
Hurst competed at the 2008 Beijing Olympics - finishing 11th in the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim, after qualifying fifth at the 2008 [World Open Water Swimming Championships] in Sevilla, Spain.
He also won a silver medal at the 1998 FINA World Swimming Championships in the 5K. He failed to qualify for the 1500m freestyle event at the 2004 Athens Olympics placing 3rd at the Australian Olympic Trials.
He won the State Sand To Surf in Mount Maunganui, round five of the 2012-2013 State New Zealand Ocean Swim Series as well as the overall 2012-2013 State New Zealand Ocean Swim Series for which he received $20,000.
2012 Olympic 10K Marathon Swim Results
1. Oussama Mellouli of Tunisia - 1:49:55.1
2. Thomas Lurz of Germany - 1:49:58.5
3. Richard Weinberger of Canada - 1:50:00.3
4. Spyridon Gianniotis of Greece - 1:50:05.3
5. Daniel Fogg of Great Britain - 1:50:37.3
6. Sergey Bolshakov of Russia - 1:50:40.1
7. Vladimir Dyatchin of Russia - 1:50:42.8
8. Andreas Waschburger of Germany - 1:50:44.4
9. Petar Stoychev of Bulgaria - 1:50:46.2
10. Alex Meyer of the USA - 1:50:48.2
11. Julien Sauvage of France - 1:50:51.3
12. Troyden Prinsloo of South Africa - 1:50:52.9
13. Erwin Maldonado of Venezuela - 1:50:52.9
14. Igor Chervynskiy of Ukraine - 1:50:56.9
15. Yasunari Hirai of Japan - 1:51:20.1
16. Brian Ryckeman of Belgium - 1:51:27.1
17. Valerio Cleri of Italy - 1:51:29.5
18. Csaba Gercsak of Hungary - 1:51:30.9
19. Arseniy Lavrentyev of Portugal - 1:51:37.2
20. Ky Hurst of Australia - 1:51:41.3
21. Ivan Enderica Ochoa of Ecuador - 1:52:28.6
22. Yuriy Kudinov of Kazakhstan - 1:52:59.0
23. Francisco Jose Hervas of Spain - 1:53:27.8
24. Mazen Aziz Metwaly of Egypt - 1:54:33.2
25. Benjamin Schulte of Guam - 2:03:35.1
- 2012 Olympic Marathon Swimming 10km Coverage
- 2012 Olympic Marathon Swimming - Male Medal Contenders
- Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
- Olympic Athletes Online Reference
- Ky Hurst official website
- Open Water Swimming website
- Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
- Love That Focus
- Unique Marathon Swimming Preparations
- Look For Ky Hurst In Green And Gold
- 101 Movers and Shakers In Open Water
- Ky Hurst in Green and Gold
- Ky Hurst is Back
- Elite Swimmmers Aren't Waiting At British Gas Great Swims
- Ky Hurst Superfish
- The Unique Marathon Preparations of Ky Hurst
- Ky Hurst Railroading
- Ky Hurst Whitehaven
- 2012 London Olympics - The Men of Open Water Swimming
- Will Hercules Overpower Killer And Trento In The State New Zealand Ocean Swim Series?
- Benjamin Schulte At The Head Of The Class
- Are Open Water Swimmers Watermen?
- Swimming Australia Reviews What Can Be In Rio de Janeiro
- Ky Hurst Has Swell Time To Victory In New Zealand
- King Of The Bays Where Blood Is Thicker Than Water
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- The Perfect Female Open Water Swimmer
- The Perfect Male Open Water Swimmer
- Team Pursuit At The 2013 FINA World Championships
- What Makes Great Swimmers?
- Hang Up The Goggles, Put On The Dancing Shoes
- Dancing With The Stars