From OpenwaterpediaMidmar Mile in South Africa. With 7 children, 24 grandchildren and 18 great-grandchildren, she worked full time until she was 70. She has completed 13 consecutive Midmar Miles and has entered the 2013 Midmar Mile at the age of 89.
2013 World Open Water Swimming Woman of the Year Nomination
Cochran was nominated for the 2013 World Open Water Swimming Woman of the Year. Her nomination reads:
At the age of 89, Lorna Cochran shows the joys and benefits of open water swimming as clearly anyone on the planet. She emerges from the open water with a smile as wide and bright as can be. She is gracious to all, she is eloquent with the media. She is a late bloomer to the sport who is cheered on by her 7 children, 24 grandchildren, 18 great-grandchildren, and numerous respectful fans. After she started competing in South Africa’s aQuellé Midmar Mile at 74, she kept on competing year after year – proving that some things do get better with age. For her passion for healthful living, for her continued participation in the world’s largest competitive race, for the inspirational example of healthful, meaningful living she represents, Lorna Cochran is a worthy nominee for the 2013 World Open Water Swimming Woman of the Year.
- Midmar Mile history
- Lorna Cochran, A Modern Athlete
- Midmar Mile, The Fountain of Youth
- Late Bloomers At 89 And 90 Still Going Strong
- 2013 World Open Water Swimming Woman Of The Year Nominees
- This Is Africa - The aQuellé Midmar Mile
- Nearing 90, Lorna Cochran Is An Unparalleled Inspiration
- Competing At The Highest Echelon
- I Will Not Be Back…Until Next Year