Newport Pier-2-Pier Swim
From OpenwaterpediaNewport Pier-to-Pier Swim was founded by Buddy Belshe, a legendary Newport Beach, California lifeguard, in 1976. The Newport Pier-2-Pier Swim is part of the Newport Beach Ocean Swims that are held in Newport Beach, California in July and August. The Newport Beach lifeguard-organized ocean swims are summer classics in Southern California and annually draw a large field of participants from newbies to Olympic competitive swimmers. The other swim is the Don Burns 1-mile Scholarship Swim in August.
It is one of America's Top 100 Open Water Swims.
City Newport Beach
Name Nadine Turner
Event Date: 13 July 2013
Newport Pier-2-Pier Swim Course
Newport Pier-2-Pier Swim starts at the Balboa Pier and goes along the Newport Beach coastline to the Newport Pier. The 2-mile course is annually held in mid-July weekend.
The course starts from the beach next to the Balboa Pier. Athletes swim to a buoy offshore and then up the coast to a buoy right off the Newport Pier. They round the buoy at the Newport Pier and finish on shore in front of Lifeguard Headquarters.
Registration with a T-Shirt is US$25 or US$45 for both swims. Souvenir T-Shirts are US$10. Donations are accepted for the Don Burns Scholarship fund.
2011 Newport Pier-2-Pier Swim
- You Better Be Strong In Newport Beach
- Newport Beach Ocean Swims
- Newport Pier-2-Pier Swim
- Don Burns 1-mile Scholarship Swim
- Legendary Newport Beach Lifeguard Buddy Belshe Passes
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- I Got Stung
- Don't Push It, Save It For Another Day
- Margalis Duo Wins Don Burns Swim In Corona del Mar
- Steve Sponagle Wins Southern Pacific Masters Open Water Title