Ocean City Swim Club
Ocean City Swim Club is a pool and open water swimming club co-founded by Bruckner Chase and Michelle Evans-Chase in the South Jersey area on the East Coast of the United States. Through swimming, surfing and paddling, Ocean City Swim Club creates opportunities for others to challenge themselves in a positive environment in which they feel comfortable. Ocean City Swim Club can help individuals train for a triathlon, learn to do a flip turn or attempt the English Channel.
- Began competing in triathlons in 1984 finishing his first Ironman distance race in 1985
- Competed in ultra distance running events that included finishing the Vermont 100 mile endurance run in 1998
- Came back to swimming while hobbling around on land and attempting to recover from a 100 mile run
- Has completed numerous marathon swims including: the 8.3 mile Pennock Island Challenge in Alaska, the 12 mile Trans Tahoe swim, a 22.5 mile length of Lake Tahoe Swim, the 10 mile Maui Channel, the 10K Santa Cruz Pier to Pier, the 22.5 mile Absecon Island swim, the first ever 19.6 mile swim around Ocean City and the 23 mile Lake George Marathon
- Has learned that not finishing is not the same as failing from experiences in the English and Catalina Channels
- Began coaching swimmers in 1989 and has worked with age group, masters and high school programs
- When not in the water, is involved in numerous projects and initiatives to educate people about the waters around us and encourage others to discover and pursue their passions in life.
- Trains the ocean lifeguards on various beach patrols in the South Jersey area.
- Is an Ocean Ambassador and Spokesperson for NOAA's National Marine Sanctuary System
- Has been a competitive swimmer since the age of 6
- Swam for Rutgers University
- Grew up around open water swimming with a father who pioneered marathon swims in California and a brother, Shawn, a well known open water swimmer and coach
- Began surfing at the age of 38
- Has done open water swims in Monterey Bay; San Francisco Bay; Ketchikan, Alaska and Folkestone, England
- Has coordinated or directed the swims and support for all of Bruckner’s marathon swims
- When not in the water, is a PhD Candidate at Penn in the School of Social Policy and Practice