Ocean Recovery Alliance
Its partnership with the World Open Water Swimming Association has resulted in the Plastic Disclosure Project guidelines being incorporated by all World Open Water Swimming Association-sanctioned events.
The focus of the Ocean Recovery Alliance is to bring together new ways of thinking, technologies, creativity and collaborations in order to introduce innovative projects and initiatives that will help improve our ocean environment. This includes creating business opportunities for local communities when applicable, in order to address some of the pressing issues that our ocean faces today.
The group is an umbrella organization which operates and organizes a variety of sub-projects, some of which will have their own operating teams, budgets and objectives. In some cases, these projects may complement one another, and in others, they will be stand-alone. Two of the projects within the group were announced at the Clinton Global Initiative (CGI) in 2010, and are focused on innovative prevention programs for plastic waste reduction. This includes the Plastic Disclosure Project, and the Global Alert platform. The Ocean Recovery Alliance is also a founding member of the Ocean Conservancy’s “Trash Free Seas Alliance” which was announced at the Clinton Global Initiative in 2011.
Plastic Disclosure Project
The Plastic Disclosure Project was launched at the Clinton Global Initiative by Ocean Recovery Alliance as a way to bring about large scale prevention of plastic waste. This is an investor and multi-stakeholder driven program to encourage companies and other institutions to measure their plastic footprint and develop plastic management strategies to create a world where plastic adds value to businesses without negatively impacting the environment.
The approach is simple: an annual disclosure request is sent on behalf of socially responsible investors and other community stakeholders to companies around the world that are users of plastic in their products or services, asking them to measure their plastic footprint. The goal is to inspire improved strategies for lessening plastic's impact on the environment, managing the material in more efficient ways, and treating it as a resource instead of a waste product. This includes less waste in the supply chain, more recycling within one's user-base, more recycled content, new design, and the use of new materials.
Video of Human Aerial Art in 2012
Video of Human Aerial Art in 2013
- Ocean Recovery Alliance website
- Dolphin Art From Shore To The Heavens
- Plastic Disclosure Project
- A Valuable Disclosure, Maximizing Plastic's Value
- The Ground Work To Do Aerial Art
- Environmental Friendliness In The Open Water Community
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Trent Grimsey Headlines The Five In Hong Kong
- Second World Ocean Summit In San Francisco
- Trent Grimsey Comfortably Wins The Five
- Plastic Disclosure Project Making A Difference
- 2013 World Open Water Swimming Offering Of The Year Nominees
- What A Cool Field Day For Kids
- Kids Ocean Day Brings Attention To Sharks
- Promoting Beautiful China On The Beach