He has competed in and won the British Long Distance Swimming Association Champion of Champions race, won the one-way (2011) and two-way (2009) crossings of Windermere, won the Bloody Big Swim, competed in the 19.7km Rottnest Channel Swim twice, finishing 2nd in 2011, crossed the 9.6-mile Maui Channel, and finished fourth in the 2011 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim.
In 2012, he completed 2 of the Oceans Seven channels by completing the Strait of Gibraltar in 3 hours 42 minutes and the Molokai Channel in 13 hours 4 minutes with Captain Matt Buckman at the helm, and is tied for 16th on the Oceans Seven world rankings.
He also received the Open Water Swimmer of the Year award at the 2012 H2Open Awards organized by H2Open Magazine, an award designed to celebrate achievement in open water swimming. He was recognized for the world record for the fastest time swimming around Manhattan Island in 2011, completing the swim in 5:44:02.
Channel Swimming Career
1. English Channel, England to France, 11 hours 6 minutes, 17°C, at the age of 34 years on 8 September 2009
2. Rottnest Channel Swim, Perth to Rottnest, 5 hours 5 minutes, 22°C, at the age of 34 years on 20 February 2010
3. Maui Channel, Maui to Lanai, 4 hours 9 minutes, 27°C, at the age of 35 years on 4 October 2010
4. Strait of Gibraltar, Spain to Morocco, 3 hours 42 minutes on 2 May 2012 on a 4-wide (shown below)
5. Molokai Channel, Molokai to Oahu, 13 hours 4 minutes on 9 October 2012
Strait of Gibraltar 4-wide
- Oliver Wilkinson NYC Swim Bio
- Oliver Wilkinson Blog
- Oliver Wilkinson Breaks Record
- Vet Tackles Channel
- Open Water Swimming website
- H2Open Magazine website
- Swimmers En Route To The Oceans Seven
- The Friendly Isle Says Aloha To Oliver Wilkinson
- Ka'iwi Channel Swim, Ready For An Epic Undertaking
- Darren Miller's Experience In The North Channel