Open Water Swimming Manual: An Expert's Survival Guide For Triathletes And Open Water Swimmers
From Openwaterpediaopen water swimmer Lynne Cox.
Courtesy of worldopenwaterswimmingassociation.com
Lynne Cox has set open water swimming records across the world, and now she has focused her decades-long experience and expertise into this definitive guide to swimming. Cox methodically addresses what is needed to succeed at and enjoy open water swimming, including choosing the right bathing suit and sunscreen; surviving in dangerous weather conditions, currents, and waves; confronting various marine organisms; treating ailments, such as being stung or bitten, and much more. Cox calls upon Navy SEAL training materials and instructors’ knowledge of open water swimming and safety procedures to guide her research. In addition, first-hand anecdotes from SEAL specialists and stories of Cox’s own experiences serve as both warnings and proper practices to adopt.
Open Water Swimming Manual provides a wealth of knowledge for all swimmers, from seasoned triathletes and expert swimmers to beginners exploring open water swimming for the first time. It is, as well, the first manual of its kind to make use of oceanography, marine biology, and to weave in stories about the successes and failures of other athletes, giving us a deeper, broader understanding of this exhilarating and fast growing sport.
Her first book about the experience of swimming in Antarctica was described in Swimming to Antarctica published in 2004. Her second book, Grayson, details her encounter with a lost baby gray whale during an early morning workout off the coast of California. It was published in 2006. The third book South with the Sun was published in 2011 and is about Roald Amundsen, the polar explorer who was the first to reach the South Pole (in 1911). The book honors the 100th anniversary of his triumph. Her fourth and most recent book is Open Water Swimming Manual: An Expert's Survival Guide For Triathletes And Open Water Swimmers.
- Open Water Swimming Manual: An Expert's Survival Guide For Triathletes And Open Water Swimmers
- CBS News on the Antarctic swim
- Lynne Cox Official website
- Lynne Cox Profile Page - Video clip, book listings, speaking topics
- Lynne Cox reading Grayson online multimedia e-book (Chapter 1)
- Lake Titicaca swim
- Miracle on Lake Baikal
- People Who Changed The World Of Open Water Swimming
- The Time Is Now, The Choice Is Yours
- 30 Open Water Swimmers Known By One Name
- WOWSA, IMSHOF Heads To Cork, Ireland
- Conquistador Sails Strait Like Magellan
- Anticipating And Dealing With The Cold
- Do You See In The Open Water Or Do You Observe?
- Greatest Feeling In The World Outside Your Comfort Zone
- ESPN Outside The Lines
- The Perfect Female Open Water Swimmer
- The Boys Will Bring Us Home...Across The Bering Strait
- People Open Water Swimmers Look Up To
- Amanda Horton Gets Inspired
- Eloquently Explaining The 'Why' Of Open Water Swimming
- Mind Over Matter, Swimming 1000m @ 0ºC
- Swimming In Siberia, Russian Winter Swimming Champs
- Ice Swimming At The Winter Olympics
- 2013 World Open Water Swimming Offering Of The Year
- 2013 World Open Water Swimming Offering Of The Year Nominees
- Lynne Cox Surviving And Thriving Over The Test of Time