Marathon Swimming Career
Dr. Thaning has completed the English Channel (England to France) in 10 hours 29 minutes in 15-16°C at the age of 53 years old on 30 August 1994.
He has also swum from Robben Island to Blouberg numerous times. His 2007 swim took him 2 hours 37 minutes at the age of 66 years old on 22 December 2007. He became the oldest person at the age of 72 to complete a Robben Island crossing in South Africa on 17 March 2012.
He also set a world record in Lake Malawi, Makinjira (Mozambique) when he crossed the lake in 10 hours 5 minutes in 28°C when he was 51 years old on 5 January 1992.
Swimming and Heart Surgery
"My swimming interest has always been a passion shared with my involvement in heart surgery. I was fortunate to have been trained by Chris Barnard and work in a hospital in Cape Town that carries his name - Christiaan Barnard Memorial Hospital."
[Note: Dr. Christiaan Neethling Barnard (November 8, 1922 – September 2, 2001) was a South African cardiac surgeon who performed the world's first successful human-to-human heart transplant.
- The Oldest Men and Women in the Sea
- Oldies But Goodies In The Open Water
- Higher Education In The Open Water
- The Incredible Dr. Otto Thaning On Land And In The Water
- Otto Thaning Completes Hearty Swim From Robben Island
- Swimming Surgeon Shows What Is Possible
- The Dark Shadows Of Neoprene In The Open Water World
- Marathon Swimming
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- The Perfect Female Open Water Swimmer
- The Perfect Male Open Water Swimmer