He is a former McKinsey & Company consultant, surgeon, engineer, calculus teacher and an author of numerous medical and research papers. He has gives educational and engaging lectures on nutrition including a TedMed talk on 17 April 2013 in Washington D.C. He currently educates via his blog War On Insulin and is a popular TedMed speaker.
Dr. Attia received his medical degree from Stanford University and holds a B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mathematics from Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, where he also taught and helped revamp the calculus curriculum. He did his surgical training at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland. He also did a fellowship in surgical oncology at the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Maryland and gave a TedMed presentation on 17 April 2013.
Dr. Attia took up swimming at the age of 31 and has since done a number of relay and solo marathon swims, including crossings of the Catalina Channel in both directions and the first double crossing of the Auau Channel (Maui Channel), from Maui to Lanai to Maui in 11 hours 45 minutes at the age of 34. He has swum across the Catalina Channel from Catalina to the mainland in 10 hours 34 minutes in 2005 at the age of 32 and again from the mainland to Catalina in 2009 in 14 hours 8 minutes at the age of 36. He was a member of the first relay crossing from Santa Barbara Island to the California mainland and swam the widest point of Lake Tahoe from California to Nevada in 7 hours 24 minutes at the age of 34.
Dr. Attia worked as a consultant with McKinsey & Company in Palo Alto, California as a member of the corporate risk and healthcare practices. He spent five years at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland as a general surgery resident, where he was the recipient of several prestigious awards and the author of a comprehensive review manual of general surgery. He also spent two years at the National Institutes of Health, in Bethesda, Maryland as a surgical oncology fellow at the National Cancer Institute.
Catalina Channel Videos
The War on Insulin
- Nutrition Science Initiative
- Eating Academy website
- Dr. Peter Attia on the War on Insulin
- Peter Attia Bio at Sapphire Energy
- Linked In Bio
- Catalina Channel Swimming Federation Official Website
- Open Water Swimming
- Los Angeles Times article
- Quicktime Movie about Peter Attia's Catalina Channel crossing
- Open Water Swimming's Number 4 On Ted
- Anxiously Awaiting Attia
- Peter Attia Is Out To Change The World
- Marathon Swimming
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- The Perfect Female Open Water Swimmer
- The Perfect Male Open Water Swimmer
- Dealing With Insomnia Before Getting In The Open Water
- Oh Wow In Auau, Meredith Novack Completes Two Way
- Peter Attia Crossing Of The Catalina Channel - video
- Peter Attia's Got Grit