He has created buzz about open water swimming in the Northeast Kingdom, established the inaugural WOWSA World 10-mile Swimming Championships, and is an example of a race promoter helping shape the sport in his immediate area. He also created the Clubhous and Be Kind to Your Yacker Week where swimmers give praise and thanksgiving to their kayakers, support crew and pilots.
Northeast Kingdom Open Water Swimming Association
NEKOWSA promotes and coordinates swims in the legendary lakes of the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, a wonderfully beautiful part of the eastern United States. The clarity of the lakes in this area rival any in North America - geological marvels that NEKOWSA will celebrate and promote with its four open water swims in 2010.
Northeast Kingdom Open Water Swimming Association (NEKOWSA) Events
All events are conducted in the state of Vermont with online registration. The events include the following:
• Son of a Swim, 2-, 4- and 6-mile swims in Lake Memphremagog, on June 18, 2011. The Son of a Swim is designed as a qualification swim for the Kingdom Swim in July. The field is limited to 25 swimmers.
• Kingdom Swim, 1-, 3-, 6- and 10-mile swims in Lake Memphremagog, is scheduled for July 9, 2011. A quickly emerging celebration of open water swimming in the heart of the Northeast Kingdom. The event includes ¼-mile and 100-yard swims for children only. The field is limited to 100 swimmers per course.
• Seymour Swim, a 3.5-mile swim in Lake Seymour as part of Kingdom Triathlon’s Aquaman, is scheduled for August 6, 2011. Swimmers are welcome to swim the first leg of the triathlon, but the field is limited to 50 swimmers.
• Willoughby Swim, a 4.75-mile swim in a majestic lake in some of the cleanest water in North America is scheduled for August 20, 2011. The field is limited to 50 swimmers.
Phil commented on the Willoughby Swim, "The swim really is a majestic swim. This year, the wind was 1-3 miles an hour coming from the south when we started. Ripples were on the water. It gets compressed by the cliffs. Waves ended up 1-foot high, with a current as water was blown from the south end into the north end. The water is so clear and deep, it becomes blue black under the cliffs."
Open Water Swimming Associations
NEKOWSA is part of an intriguing collection of like-minded associations around the world with similar acronyms and common goals and missions:
- NEKOWSA - Northeast Kingdom Open Water Swimming Association
- JIOWSA - Japan International Open Water Swimming Association
- USOWSA - United States Open Water Swimming Association
- DOWSSA - Dubai Open Water Swimming Sports Association
- VOWSA - Vancouver Open Water Swimming Association
- IOWSA - International Open Water Swimming Association
- WOWSA - World Open Water Swimming Association
- SOWSA - Stage Open Water Swimming Association
- COWS - Chattanooga Open Water Swimmers
- GLOWSA - Great Lakes Open Water Swimming Association
- Deep and Clear In The Northeast Kingdom Swim
- Northeast Kingdom Open Water Swimming Association Launched
- Northeast Kingdom Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming website
- Willoughby III In The Northeast Kingdom
- Who Is Phil White And What Is NEKOWSA?
- On Golden Pond
- Sayings From The Open Water Swimming World
- Be Kind To Your Yacker Week 2012
- Be Kind To Your Yacker Week 2011
- Be Kind To Your Yacker Week 2010
- Be Kind To Your Yacker Week Introduction
- Happy Yacker Week 2013
- Haiku To My Kayaker
- Haiku To Yacker
- Ode To My Yacker
- To Kingdom Come They Swim
- Slots Still Open For the World 10-Mile Championships
- Rob Madell Proves It Is Never Too Late
- WOWSA Battle: Brian Phillips vs. Eric Nilsson
- Emma Otto-Moudry Can WOW The Crowd
- Pure As White In Lake Memphremagog
- Eric Nilsson, Kristin Jones Win 10-Mile World Championship
- Champion's Reflections, Kristin Jones On The Kingdom
- A Champion's Reflection, Eric Nilsson On The Kingdom
- Rob Madell Swimming To Kingdom Come
- Paula Yankauskas Feeling Comfortable In Her Own Skin
- Those Post-Swim Waffles Were Excellent
- Road Warnings About Open Water Swimming
- An Adventurous Day Between Open Water Swims
- The Clubhouse On Lake Memphremagog
- The Clubhous Is A Great Place To Play
- Northeast Kingdom Open Water Swimming 2014 Schedule
- Two Men, Two Maidens, And A Monster In Memphremagog
- Sarah Thomas, A Double-Crosser
- Sarah Thomas Double-Crosser Twice Over
- Bethany Bosch Boldly Swims In Search Of Memphre
- Cold Water Or Your Money Back