From Openwaterpediamarathon swimmers of all time. The native of New Zealand was inducted in the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame in 1985 as an Honour Swimmer. He was elected to the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame Board of Directors in 2011 and currently serves as the Oceania Vice President and is a member of the 24-hour club. He was a successful professional marathon swimmer and did numerous unprecedented solo channel and marathon swims during his lengthy career.
Rush established his greatest marathon swimming legacy in the English Channel. He swam the English Channel in 1985 in a single-crossing and then set a two-way crossing record in 17 hours 56 minutes. He made successful one-way crossings in 1986 and 1987 and then became the second swimmer to achieve a three-way crossing in 28 hours 21 minutes included a first leg of 7 hours 55 minutes which was the fastest swim of the year. In his epic three-way crossing, he swam his first leg in 7 hours 55 minutes, which was the fastest swim of the year, his second leg in 8 hours 15 minutes to set a two-way crossing record and a France-to-England crossing record, and his third leg in 12 hours 11 minutes for a three-way crossing record of 28 hours 21 minutes. Rush completed his tenth English Channel crossing in 1988.
Rush is currently the national open water swimming team head coach of New Zealand and assists marathon swimmers from around the world tackle the treacherous Cook Strait between the North and South Islands of New Zealand.
- Philip Rush on Open Water Source
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame website
- Open Water Swimming website
- Cook Strait Swimming website
- Philip Rush's Incomparable Interview
- Updated 24-Hour Club
- Sheer Sense, Start And Finish In The Cook Strait
- Google Earth Flyover of Oceans Seven
- Marathon Swimming
- Twice Thrice As Nice In The English Channel
- New Zealand Open Water Swimming Hero
- 101 Movers And Shakers In The Open Water Swimming World
- Philip Rush Joins The International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
- Getting Physical In The Open Water
- Longest Solo Swims In The World
- Philip Rush's Incomparable Interview on Open Water Wednesday
- 30 Open Water Swimmers Known By One Name
- Craig Lenning Descends From Mountains To Cook
- Marathon Swimming Is A Global Phenomena
- Darren Miller's Rock Solid Six Pack
- Disappointed But Undaunted, Trials and Tributions of Pat Gallant-Charett
- Publicizing Heroes And Heroines Of Open Water Swimming
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- The Perfect Female Open Water Swimmer
- The Perfect Male Open Water Swimmer
- You Are A Newbie Swimmer If...
- Vinay Marathe Leads His Swimmers Around The World
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming