Portland Bridge Swim
The course passing under all 11 bridges on the Willamette River within the city boundaries. Swimmers must complete a qualifying swim to enter, and are required to have a support kayaker (rentals available) to swim. It is one of the longest marathon swims in the world and was named as one of America's Top 100 Open Water Swims.
The first half of the Portland Bridge Swim course runs through a park-like setting and passes through downtown Portland. The bridges are close together and enticed the swimmers to carry on. The second half of the course is tougher, running through an industrial area with just two bridges in the distance that presents a psychological challenge for the swimmers.
The Race Start is at Sellwood Park, SE 7th Ave. & Miller St. in Portland. The Race Finish is at Cathedral Park, N. Edison & Pittsburg Ave. in Portland.
The course is approximately 10.7 miles (17.2 km) with the current. Swimmers will enter the water at Sellwood Park, swim South under the Sellwood Bridge, pass around the bridge pylons and swim North along the East side of the river. The course runs under all 11 of Portland’s Willamette River bridges, through downtown and beyond. Swimmers will pass under the St. John’s bridge and exit the water via the boat ramp in Cathedral Park. Water temperature is expected to be between 66-72°F (19-22°C).
While the exact route is left to each swimmer, there are some course decisions that are common sense: stay away from high-traffic boat areas such as docks and marina entrances. Avoid shallow areas. Swim where the current is strongest.
Body of Water Willamette River
Name Portland Bridge Swim - Marisa Frieder
Event Date 22 July 2012
Class Includes a wetsuit division
1. Emily Melina, 4:19:10 First Place, Women's No Wetsuit
2. Michelle Macy, 4:29:00
3. Ben Weston, 4:39:10 First Place, Men's No Wetsuit
4. Garrett Martin, 5:11:42
5. Joni Young, 5:13:04
6. John Ellis, 5:19:07 First Place, Men's Wetsuit
7. Cara Shrum, 5:26:47
8. Kelsey Bowen, 5:32:13
9. Mark Braun, 5:40:50
10. Mike Humphreys, 5:40:50
11. Suzanne Dods, 6:05:44
12. Bob Needham, 6:22:24
13. Bonnie Edwards, 6:26:02
14. Sethyn Bryan, 7:46:51, First Place, Women's No Wetsuit
2012 Portland Bridge Swim (top 10)
1. Ryan Bullock - 3:49:14
2. James Proffitt - 4:02:00
3. Relay Ramsey - 4:03:12
4. Relay Watkins - 4:09:22
5. Alyson O'Brien - 4:12:29
6. Greg Jablonski - 4:14:17
7. Thomas Grandine - 4:19:49
8. Lindsey Millard - 4:21:09
9. Oscar Mraz - 4:21:09
10. Relay Istok - 4:21:27
- Portland Bridge Swim
- A Short List of Marathon Swims
- Ryan Bullock Wins Portland Bridge Swim
- Olympic Marathon Swims For Amateurs Of All Abilities
- Open Water Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
- Marathon Swimming
- What Is A Marathon Swim?
- Do Marathon Runs Compare To Marathon Swims?
- Longest Marathon Swims In The World
- What is The Defined Distance Of A Marathon Swim?
- How Many Channel Swimmers Are There In The World?
- Bridges Under Untroubled Water, The Portland Bridge Swim
- Oregon Open Water Series Schedule
- Swim Under The Sparkling Sun, Portland Bridge Swim 3.0
- Top 25 Places And Events In Openwaterpedia