He has inspired people through his extreme swims and extraordinarily positive view of life and its challenges. He has done ice swims with Anne Marie Ward and Nuala Moore in Ireland, with Gavin Pike in Scotland, and with Ryan Stramrood, Toks Viviers, Kieron Palframan and Andrew Chin in Chile and Argentina. He will appear on Stan Lee's Superhumans television series for this ability to swim without a wetsuit or neoprene cap at lethally cold water temperatures.
In 2012, Barkai completed a 1.3 km swim in Folgefonna Glacier, an ice-bound lake in Jondal, Norway water temperature of 0.2˚C at 1000m above sea level. The swim is part of a new series on Discovery HD called Superhuman Showdown, a television show that features individuals with unique abilities that extend far beyond that of ordinary humans.
Barkai is a speaker at the 2011 and 2012 Global Open Water Swimming Conferences.
2012 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year Nomination
Barkai was nominated for the 2012 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year award. His nomination reads,
The world according to Ram is expansive and empowering. His refreshing view of human potential is without limitation. His enlightening perspective effectively utilizes the power of the mind, and extends the world of open water swimming beyond contemporary comprehension. The founder of the International Ice Swimming Association inspires swimmers to look at water in an entirely new light; temperature no longer becomes the limiting factor. If the ice has melted, Barkai considers it a potential field of play. At the same time, Barkai understands the risk of extreme swimming. He counsels individuals to proceed with mindful caution and utilizes intelligent planning. The physiological data that he compiles and analyzes, the swims that he organizes, the risks that he manages and identifies are extraordinarily useful to the open water swimming world. For his encouragement of thinking outside the norm, for his properly-managed extreme swims, for his support of ice swimmers around the world, Ram Barkai is a worthy nominee for the 2012 WOWSA Open Water Swimming Man of the Year.
2013 Bering Strait Swim Relay
Barkai was a member of the successful, unprecedented, 5-day Bering Strait Swim relay, a 53-mile (86 km) relay crossing from Cape Dezhnev in Chukotka, Russia, to Cape Prince of Wales in the state of Alaska, USA.
1. Yuri Tsiganchuk, Blagoveshchensk, Russia
2. Yuri Myagkikh, Russia
3. Vladimir Chegorin, Russia
4. Maria Chizhova, Novosibirsk, Russia
5. Elena Guseva, Russia
6. Ram Barkai, Cape Town, South Africa
7. Jack Bright, UK
8. Vladimir Litvinov, Blagoveshchensk, Russia
9. Oksana Veklich, Blagoveshchensk, Russia
10. Aleksandr Jakovlev, Jelgava, Latvia
11. Matías Ola, Buenos Aires /Tucuman Argentina
12. Henri Kaarma, Tallinn, Estonia
13. Toomas Haggi, Tallinn, Estonia
14. Nuala Moore, Ireland
15. Anne Marie Ward, Donegal, Ireland
16. Toks Viviers, Cape Town, South Africa
17. Melissa O’Reilly (‘Mo’), Lambertville, New Jersey, USA
18. Ryan Stramrood, Cape Town, South Africa
19. Cristian Vergara, Santiago, Chile
20. Craig Lenning, Colorado, USA
21. Rafał Ziobro, Krakow, Poland
22. Andrew Chin, Cape Town, South Africa
23. Jackie Cobell, Tunbridge Wells, UK
24. James Pittar, Australia
25. Paolo Chiarino, Italy
Ram Barkai Swimming At 0.3˚C
- Ram Barkai and Gavin Pike in Scotland
- Do Swimmers Lose More Body Heat From Their Head?
- Cadiz Freedom Swim website
- Speedo Ice Swim Africa website
- Open Water Swimming website
- Ice Swimming In The Winter Olympics
- The Human Mind Is A Powerful Thing In The Open Water
- Freedom Swim Series Announced For 2013
- Open Water Swimming Safety Discussed In Global Conference
- How To Be Safe In The Open Water
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Ram Barkai, Mindful Ice Man
- Exploring Extremes, Swimming In Siberia
- Swimming In Siberia, Russian Winter Swimming Championships
- Swimming At The Bottom Of The Planet Earth
- 50 Is New 30, 60 Is The New 40 In The Open Water
- Getting In and Out of 4°C Water
- Extremely Well-Done In Lake Zurich
- Chilling With Chin
- 30 Open Water Swimmers Known By One Name
- Anticipating And Dealing With The Cold
- Sayings From The Open Water Swimming World
- Superhuman Showdown
- Sitting On The Shoreline Impressed With Others
- Proper Measurement Of Water Temperatures In The Open Water
- Do You See In The Open Water Or Do You Observe?
- Mother – Father Relationships In The Open Water
- Greatest Feeling In The World Outside Your Comfort Zone
- International Relay Swim Across The Bering Strait Official Website
- Bering Strait Swim
- Bering Strait Swim - Ice Bering
- The Who's Who Of Extremists Gather At Top Of World
- Do Ice Swimmers Have Bigger Brains?
- Publicizing Heroes And Heroines Of Open Water Swimming
- Ice Swim Africa 2013
- Marathon Swimming
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- The Perfect Female Open Water Swimmer
- The Perfect Male Open Water Swimmer
- What Open Water Swim Could Be More Dangerous?
- Adventurous 5 Among 50 Across The Bering Strait
- Adventurous 5 Among 50 Across The Bering Strait
- Bering Strait Swim Succeeds
- The Deadliest Swim, Russia to USA Across the Bering Strait
- Should Ice Swimming Be In The Olympics? Yes!
- If Ice Swimming Were In The Olympics, What Are The Rules?
- Mind Over Matter, Swimming 1000m @ 0ºC
- Swimming In Siberia, Russian Winter Swimming Champs
- Ice Swimming At The Winter Olympics
- Ram Barkai Sees Only Tip Of The Iceberg
- Recollections Of The Most Risky Open Water Swim In History