Ray Brickell from Great Britain was inducted as an Honour Pilot in the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame in 2009. He is the brother of Reg Brickell, Jr. and son of Reg Brickell, Sr., both also Honour Pilots in the International Swimming Hall of Fame (IMSHOF).
Ray has served as English Channel pilots with his brother under the guidance of their father Reg over the course of four decades. Reg started work with his father at the age of 16 in 1967 and Ray also started at the age of 16 years, 3 years later. In 1981, they took over the running of the boat from their father. On average, the brothers take up to 30 swimmers each season across the English Channel, including escorts for several world record swims. Like their father, they remain very involved with the Channel Swimming Association.
IMSHOF Honour Pilots
- Reg Brickell, Sr., Great Britain, 2003
- Reg Brickell, Jr., Great Britain, 2009
- Ray Brickell, Great Britain, 2009
- Captain Leonard Hutchinson, Great Britain, 2004
- William J. Long, Great Britain, 2004
- Michael Oram, Great Britain, 2005
- Duncan Taylor, Great Britain, 2005
- David Whyte, Great Britain, 2007