Stramrood, Palframan, Viviers, Barkai and Chin are all founding members of the International Ice Swimming Association and take inspiration from, inter alia, Lynne Cox's book, Swimming to Antarctica. During the Patagonia Extreme Cold Water Challenge, they successfully completed three extremely cold-water swims in 12 days: 3.2 kilometers double crossing of the Beagle Channel, 4 kilometer crossing of the Strait of Magellan (8°C) and 2.5 kilometers around the southern most point of Cape Horn 7C.
All the swims were done in rough water, against strong currents and in water less than 8°C.
Stramrood has also successfully crossed the English Channel in 2008, was one of the first South African men to have crossed the Strait of Gibraltar in 2005 (and again in 2010), has taken joint 3rd place in Alaska's tough Pennock Island race in 2009, completed Australia's Rottnest Island swim and many other challenging swims in and around South Africa. These include two 1 mile ice swims in temperatures below 5°C.
He also finished third overall in the 2012 8 km Deep Blue Invitational Swim and will participate in the 2013 Bering Strait Swim Relay that will attempt to cross 86 km from Russia to Alaska on 28 July 2013.
Bering Strait Swim
Stramrood will also be a member of the Bering Strait Swim, a 53-mile (86 km) relay swim attempt from Cape Dezhnev in Chukotka, Russia, to Cape Prince of Wales in the state of Alaska, USA among a team of experienced extreme swimmers.
1. Yuri Tsiganchuk, Blagoveshchensk, Russia
2. Yuri Myagkikh, Russia
3. Vladimir Chegorin, Russia
4. Maria Chizhova, Novosibirsk, Russia
5. Elena Guseva, Russia
6. Kieron Palframan, Cape Town, South Africa
7. Ram Barkai, Cape Town, South Africa
8. Jack Bright, UK
9. Vladimir Litvinov, Blagoveshchensk, Russia
10. Oksana Veklich, Blagoveshchensk, Russia
11. Aleksandr Jakovlev, Jelgava, Latvia
12. Matías Ola, Buenos Aires /Tucuman Argentina
13. Henri Kaarma, Tallinn, Estonia
14. Toomas Haggi, Tallinn, Estonia
15. Nuala Moore, Ireland
16. Anne Marie Ward, Donegal, Ireland
17. Claudia Rose, San Diego, USA
18. Toks Viviers, Cape Town, South Africa
19. Melissa O’Reilly (‘Mo’), Lambertville, New Jersey, USA
20. Ryan Stramrood, Cape Town, South Africa
21. Scott Lautman, Seattle, Washington, USA
22. Cristian Vergara, Santiago, Chile
23. Lelané Rossouw-Bancroft, Newark, Delaware, USA
24. Rafał Ziobro, Krakow, Poland
25. Andrew Chin, Cape Town, South Africa
26. Jackie Cobell, Tunbridge Wells, UK
27. Paul Duffield, West Kelowna, BC, Canada
- International Relay Swim Across The Bering Strait Official Website
- Bering Strait Swim
- Bering Strait Swim - Ice Bering
- Exploring Extremes, Swimming In Siberia
- Ram explains The Patagonia Challenge
- Patagonia Swim Challenge Facebook Page
- Cape Extreme Swimmers
- Open Water Swimming website
- 3 for 3
- It's A Draw: Extreme Swimmers 7 vs. Deep Blue 7
- Swimming In Siberia, Russian Winter Swimming Championships
- Conquistador Sails Strait Like Magellan
- Proper Measurement Of Water Temperatures In The Open Water
- The Who's Who Of Extremists Gather At Top Of World
- Do Ice Swimmers Have Bigger Brains?
- What Open Water Swim Could Be More Dangerous?
- Adventurous 5 Among 50 Across The Bering Strait