Straits of Florida
From OpenwaterpediaFlorida Strait or Florida Straits is a strait located south-southeast of the North American mainland, generally accepted to be between the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean, and between the Florida Keys of the United States and Cuba. It is 90 miles wide at the narrowest point between Key West and the Cuban shore. The strait carries the Florida Current, the beginning of the Gulf Stream, from the Gulf of Mexico.
The boundary between the Exclusive Economic Zones of the US and Cuba is halfway between Cuba and Florida, as determined by a 1977 treaty between the US and Cuba.
The Florida Strait has been the site of many solo marathon swim attempts since 1950 by reportedly over 20 individuals including Jose Cortinas, Leo Vigil, Rolando Elejalde, Luciana Nunez, Susie Maroney, Skip Storch, Chris Green, Diana Nyad, Penny Palfrey and Chloe McCardel between 1978 and the present.
- Chloe McCardel, Swimming From Cuba To Florida In 2013
- The Art And Magic Of Open Water
- Cuba To Florida. It's Possible. Is It Probable?
- Chloë Can Do Half Million For CanTeen And Can Assist
- New Ways To Fight Box Jellyfish To Be Announced
- Chloe McCardel Dreams Big In Bathers, Goggles, Cap
- Swim, Speak And Greet Chloe McCardel
- 11-day Window For Chloë McCardel
- Chloe McCardel, The Calm Before The Calm
- Susie Maroney Criticized For Cuba-Florida Crossing
- Sting Stopper Does The Trick For Diana Nyad
- The Other Shore Movie
- Getting (to) The Other Shore
- Diana Nyad website
- Within 50 Years Will It Be Crossed?