Strait of Messina
A ferry service connects Messina on Sicily with the mainland at Villa San Giovanni, which lies several kilometers north of the large city of Reggio Calabria; the ferries hold the cars (carriages) of the mainline train service between Palermo and Naples. There is also a hydrofoil service between Messina and Reggio Calabria.
The strait is characterized by strong tidal currents, that established a unique marine ecosystem. A natural whirlpool in the Northern portion of the strait has been linked to the Greek legend of Scylla and Charybdis.
For more information on swimming across the Strait of Messina, visit Traversata dello Stretto, the website dedicated to the annual swim race, and Baia di Grotta, the website dedicated to the history of the crossing of the Strait and to the organization of solo and group swims.
- Baia di Grotta
- Albo d'Oro
- Open Water - It's A Small World On A Big Planet
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Swimming Against The Tide
- Making Memories In Messina
- Frosty The Snowman In The Open Water
- 'Twas The Night Before Christmas In The Open Water
- Twelve Days of Christmas In The Open Water
- Jingle Bells In The Open Water