She was subject of an indepedent documentary film called 50 year old FRESHMAN Suzanne Heim-Bowen, created and produced by Deborah McDonald. She will be recognized and honored at the 2012 2012 Global Open Water Swimming Conference and the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame induction ceremonies on the RMS Queen Mary on 22 September 2012 in Long Beach, California.
International Masters Swimming Hall of Fame Induction
This is Not your average swimmer! She just keeps going…
Introduced to the water as a baby with the Mommy & Me classes held at the local YMCA, as a youngster she swam summer league and competed in AAU competitions. At 14, she quit swimming to play boys water polo. She helped start the Women's Swim Team at Cal Poly.
Many swimmers spend their youth focusing on pool swims and later turn to open water swims. It was the opposite for Suzanne Heim Bomen. At 19, she teamed up with the San Francisco Dolphin Club competing in open water swims around the world. Some of these swims include 3 crossings of the English Channel, Lake Geneva, 17 swims in San Francisco Bay waters -- many of her records have yet to be broken. In Masters open water events she has 29 age group first place finishes.
Watch out for her - Suzanne jokes that the 50 free is her favorite event! Returning to the pool, she has accumulated over 23 Masters World Records in freestyle events ranging from 100m to 1500m. Suzanne illustrates her breadth of successful swims in any body of water, any distance.
She is a lifelong swimmer who is often inspired by the "old timers" who haven't missed a day of swimming in 25 years. Undoubtedly, Suzanne inspires a few herself - maintaining a relentless attitude, setting new boundaries, and literally, new horizons - she just keeps going.
50 Year Old FRESHMAN Suzanne Heim-Bowen Trailer
"Deborah captures the heart of Suzanne in this inspirational story. I know it will resonate with the Masters swimming community," Rob Butcher, Executive Director U.S. Masters Swimming
"Our sport has so many heroes, but it is rare that their story is put on film. Deborah captures what makes Suzanne a champion and one of those rare individuals who can push themselves beyond the imaginable," Steven Munatones, founder Open Water Source.
- 2012 Best Sports/Outdoor Feature: Indie Spirit Film Festival
- 2012 Best New Film: International Aquatic History Film Festival
- 2013 Power of Film: Beloit International Film Festival
- 2012 Indie Spirit Film Festival
- 2012 International Aquatic History Film Festival
- 2013 Beloit International Film Festival
- Suzanne Heim-Bowen induction
- U.S. Masters Swimming bio
- 50 year old Freshman
- Open Water Swimming website
- Freshman Receives Best New Film Award
- The 50-year-old University Freshman, Suzanne Heim-Bowen
- 50 Year Old Freshman To Be Shown In The Hall Of Fame
- Open Water Swimming website
- 50 Year Old Freshman Wins Best Sports / Outdoor Feature
- 50 Year Old Freshman Selected For 8th Beloit
- 50 Year Old Freshman Graduates To Distribution
- 50 Year Old Freshman To Be Shown On Queen Mary
- Deborah J. McDonald And Suzanne Heim-Bowen Go 2-for-2
- Third Film Award For 50 Year Old