Stramrood, Palframan, Viviers, Barkai and Chin are all members of the International Ice Swimming Association and were inspired by Lynne Cox's book, Swimming to Antarctica. During the Patagonia Extreme Cold Water Challenge, they successfully completed three extremely cold-water swims in 12 days: 2 kilometers in the Beagle Channel, 2.5 kilometer double crossing of the Strait of Magellan (4°C) and 2.5 kilometers around Cape Horn.
All the swims were done in rough water, against strong currents and in water less than 8°C.
He was a member of the successful, unprecedented, 5-day Bering Strait Swim relay, a 53-mile (86 km) relay crossing from Cape Dezhnev in Chukotka, Russia, to Cape Prince of Wales in the state of Alaska, USA.
Bering Strait Swim
Viviers was a member of the successful, unprecedented, 5-day Bering Strait Swim relay, a 53-mile (86 km) relay crossing from Cape Dezhnev in Chukotka, Russia, to Cape Prince of Wales in the state of Alaska, USA.
1. Yuri Tsiganchuk, Blagoveshchensk, Russia
2. Yuri Myagkikh, Russia
3. Vladimir Chegorin, Russia
4. Maria Chizhova, Novosibirsk, Russia
5. Elena Guseva, Russia
6. Ram Barkai, Cape Town, South Africa
7. Jack Bright, UK
8. Vladimir Litvinov, Blagoveshchensk, Russia
9. Oksana Veklich, Blagoveshchensk, Russia
10. Aleksandr Jakovlev, Jelgava, Latvia
11. Matías Ola, Buenos Aires /Tucuman Argentina
12. Henri Kaarma, Tallinn, Estonia
13. Toomas Haggi, Tallinn, Estonia
14. Nuala Moore, Ireland
15. Anne Marie Ward, Donegal, Ireland
16. Claudia Rose, San Diego, USA
17. Toks Viviers, Cape Town, South Africa
18. Melissa O’Reilly (‘Mo’), Lambertville, New Jersey, USA
19. Ryan Stramrood, Cape Town, South Africa
20. Cristian Vergara, Santiago, Chile
21. Craig Lenning, Colorado, USA
22. Rafał Ziobro, Krakow, Poland
23. Andrew Chin, Cape Town, South Africa
24. Jackie Cobell, Tunbridge Wells, UK
25. Paolo Chiarino, Italy
- International Relay Swim Across The Bering Strait Official Website
- Bering Strait Swim
- Bering Strait Swim - Ice Bering
- Exploring Extremes, Swimming In Siberia
- Ram explains The Patagonia Challenge
- Patagonia Swim Challenge Facebook Page
- Cape Extreme Swimmers
- Open Water Swimming website
- 3 for 3
- Conquistador Sails Strait Like Magellan
- Proper Measurement Of Water Temperatures In The Open Water
- The Who's Who Of Extremists Gather At Top Of World
- Do Ice Swimmers Have Bigger Brains?
- What Open Water Swim Could Be More Dangerous?
- Adventurous 5 Among 50 Across The Bering Strait
- Bering Strait Swim Succeeds
- The Deadliest Swim, Russia to USA Across the Bering Strait