He also crossed Lake Tahoe (22.1 miles) in 15 hours 9 minutes from Camp Richardson in California to Hyatt Beach in Nevada as the oldest swimmer on record. He also crossed the Strait of Gibraltar from Spain to Morocco in 2006 in a time of 3 hours 40 minutes and continues to set his sights on other channels around the world.
With his January 2012 crossing of the Cook Strait in 10 hours 36 minutes, Hecker has now completed 4 of 7 channels of the Oceans Seven: English Channel, Catalina Channel, Cook Strait and Strait of Gibraltar.
- The Oldest Men and Women in the Sea
- Oldies But Goodies In The Open Water
- Sign On San Diego
- La Jolla Cove Swim Club
- Tom Hecker Crosses Another Channel
- NYC Swim bio
- Catalina Channel Swimming Federation website
- Channel Swimming Association website
- Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming website
- Open Water Swimming website
- Oceans Seven List - September 2012