Her first English Channel solo swim was from England to France in 1985 in 17 hours 1 minutes. Her second English Channel solo crossing from England to France in 2010 was 16 hours 50 minutes at age 53 and was part of a multi-day Channel-triathlon from Dover via Calais and Brussels to Aachen.
On 9 October 2012, she successfully swam the Strait of Gibraltar from Tarifa, Spain (Europe) to Marsa, Marocco (Africa) in 5 hours 25 minutes, as the oldest German woman (at 55) and 373rd swimmer solo without wetsuit. She is now ranked #25 on the Oceans Seven list.
A member of the International Sri Chinmoy Marathon Team she has been a vegetarian since 1981.
- Interview FAZ about Channel-Triathlon 2010
- Blog Channel-Triathlon Dover-Aachen 2010
- Gibraltar Straits Swim
- Channel-Swimming Database Dover.uk.com
- The Oldest Men and Women in the Sea
- Vasanti Niemz On Swimming
- Channel Swimming Association
- Channel Swimming & Piloting Federation
- Open Water Swimming
- Oldies But Goodies In The Open Water
- Oldest Men And Women In The Sea
- When The Egyptians Came Up Into The Swiss Alps
- Sri Chinmoy In The Open Water